Question Does this PSU noise sound OK to you? (video included)

Jul 10, 2024
hello!

brand new Corsair SF1000L PSU fan started emitting a weird noise after about one month of use. the noise started yesterday and it is driving me a bit insane, especially because the 30 day return period ended yesterday.

the question: is this noise normal, and would you RMA this?

thank you very much for reading!

video of the noise:
View: https://vimeo.com/982183578

pc specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HXtZpB

notes about the video:
  • system idle (after light browsing)
  • ambient temperature 28 c
  • all other 8 fans running at around 20-30%
  • pump at 75% (inaudible)
  • noise stops when psu fan stops
  • side panel doesn't dampen the sound

edit: forgot to mention that this is a "zero rpm mode" psu, which doesn't turn the fan on under 400w load (according to the manual), which is more than the maximum load of my current setup

Last edited:
Solution
the default xmp profile seemed to be what was causing the issue. will have to look into that more, but for now, the psu is silent!

my theory: enabling xmp profile silently modifies certain bios settings (which are set to auto) which leads to higher voltages and more heat being generated

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You can bring Corsair into the loop and present your video/audio clip to them as well. If the fan's not supposed to be ramping up prior to 400W, then that's not what we're seeing in your video. The noise also seems like it's coming from the fan but I'm also assuming it's from coil whine.

Can you do one more thing, roll up a sheet of A4 paper into a cylinder and hold one end to your ear, using the other end, probe for the source of the sound and see if you can narrow it down to the bearing of the fan and/or the VRM area of the motherboard.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Reactions: john-smith-564165
Jul 10, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You can bring Corsair into the loop and present your video/audio clip to them as well. If the fan's not supposed to be ramping up prior to 400W, then that's not what we're seeing in your video. The noise also seems like it's coming from the fan but I'm also assuming it's from coil whine.

Can you do one more thing, roll up a sheet of A4 paper into a cylinder and hold one end to your ear, using the other end, probe for the source of the sound and see if you can narrow it down to the bearing of the fan and/or the VRM area of the motherboard.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
bios date: 05/24/2024
version: 19.05 (which i just noticed is a beta version)
they've added a newer (beta) version since then (19.06 - 2024/7/2),
latest non beta is 18.01 (2024/1/12)

did the thing, and no sound seems to originate from the motherboard. it's the psu fan

disabled these in bios:
package c-state support, cpu c states support, pci express native control.
seems like this improved the sound!

thank you for helping!

edit:
realized my post is a bit contradictory.
to clarify: now the psu sounds more grindy. it might be that the fan's spinning a bit faster.
will keep experimenting, since i still don't know for sure what this is, bearing or coil whine

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2024
the default xmp profile seemed to be what was causing the issue. will have to look into that more, but for now, the psu is silent!

my theory: enabling xmp profile silently modifies certain bios settings (which are set to auto) which leads to higher voltages and more heat being generated

Last edited:
Solution