Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

cant decide between a epson r300 r200 or canon ip3000
any thoughts epinions?
does the canon go through that awful cleaning sequence that the epsons do if
you havent used them for a while

If CD printing is a must have and you are in the USA the R300.

However, the best printer and the best value is the Canon IP4000. This
has an extra dye black that when used with photos increases contrast and
provides you with a better print. The IP4000 has the same features as
the IP3000 and the Epsons do not have. They are dual paper feeds and
full duplex printing that allows you to print both sides automatically.

I use the bottom cassette sheet feeder for business paper and use the
top auto sheet feeder for photo paper that I happen to feed one at a
time. This eliminates chance of scratches on high gloss photo paper.

I use Canon OEM ink with Canon Photo Paper Pro and Costco/Kirkland
Glossy Photo Paper that I cut with an inexpensive Fiskars rotary paper
cutter that I also got at Costco. Costco.com also sells the paper and
the replacement carts but not the Fiskars; that is in the store.

The quality is about equal with the Canon being a very small fractional
of a hair better but the Costco paper is about 10% of the price when you
cut your own. Most of the time I will cut 1 5x7 and 2 4x6 sheets out of
a letter size paper. If I will accumulate too many 5x7 I will then cut
3 4x6 but I have more waste.

I have seen the Canon IP4000 as low as $100 at Fry's after a $20 Canon
rebate and a $30 Fry's instant rebate. The Canon ink costs about $9.00
and the Costco/Kirkland paper is $18.95 for 100 sheets that translates
to about 4 cents for a 4x6.

I really believe in what I said here as that is where I put my money. I
hope this information was helpful. I do not print enough to justify
taking any kind of a risk in after market ink. There is just too much
variation to take a chance on clogging up my printhead.

If I printed that much I might try one of the after market prefilled
carts at 88inkjets.com that is prefilled with Formulabs ink. I do not
want the mess or pain in the ass of refilling my own carts. If I did I
would consider Formulabs ink or maybe Lyson if they have a match for the
IP4000. Do keep in mind that for text based printing you need a
pigmented ink ie. BCI-3e Black. The remainder of the OEM ink
designations are BCI-6 [Y,M,C,Bk]

rob wrote:

>cant decide between a epson r300 r200 or canon ip3000
>any thoughts epinions?
>does the canon go through that awful cleaning sequence that the epsons do if
>you havent used them for a while

zakezuke

>cant decide between a epson r300 >r200 or canon ip3000 any thoughts
>epinions?

The Canon IP 4000 is 16.5 inches wide according to the website. I
believe the carts are 15ml.

The Epson r200 is 18.5 inches wide according to my tape measure. I
believe the carts are 13ml.

I wish I considered the size when I bought my Epson R200, it doesn't
fit on any of the shelves I made for printers, shelves designed for my
old laser printers. I know it's a small point but it's not a small
printer.

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

I bought an Epson r200 a couple of weeks ago and so far I'm very impressed.
On the photo paper included, at max settings the photo prints are identical
to "conventional" photos to my eyes. The black text printing isn't all that
fast (maybe just under 10 seconds per page) but it seems to be more careful
than my old Lexmark z51, as the text isn't wet like it was with the Lexmark,
so it maybe uses less ink. The draft b&w text quality is really light grey
but it uses about 1/5th the ink and is incredibly fast. Cartridges are a
rip off but this is the case with all similar printers. I would highly
recommend this printer for all uses including photos, regular colour
printing and text.

"£ukasz Ledóchowski" <lukled@tlen.pl> wrote in message
> zakezuke wrote:
>
> > The Canon IP 4000 is 16.5 inches wide according to the website. I
> > believe the carts are 15ml.
>
> The carts for Canon are 13ml.
>

> --
> # Lukasz Ledóchowski
> # GG: 503647 lukled@tlen.pl
> # http://www.allegro.pl/show_user_auctions.php?uid=10223

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

went for the canon pixma 3000 very impressed up to now