[SOLVED] Ethernet connection is slower than WiFi connection.

Oct 19, 2020
My ethernet connection (PC) is slower than my WiFi connection (Phone).

Fifteen days ago I had a 100MB internet line, everything was fine. My Ethernet (PC) and WiFi (Phone) had 10MB/s download & 8-10MB/s upload speed(s).

Now I have a 200MB internet line, things are not okay. My Ethernet (PC) has 10MB/s download speed & 21MB/s upload speed while my WiFi (Phone) has 21-23 MB/s download & 21MB/s upload speed(s).

Three days ago I did a format on my PC because of some PC issues, after the format the speed on my Ethernet (PC) went magically to 21-23MB/s download & 21MB/s upload speed(s) but yesterday evening I noticed my internet was slow, so I checked my download & upload speeds. My download went down to 10-11MB/s and upload is still staying strong on 21MB/s.

I looked for solutions on the internet on how to fix this sort of issue and I could not find anything or to put it more correctly I did find similar threads but none where answered. When it comes to 'Internet' problems I only know the very basics, this is an issue I do not know how to resolve.

In the begining when I first checked my internet speed (Before the format) I though my PC could not handle more than 10MB/s download speed(s) but for two days straight after the PC (windows) format I had a good solid 20-23MB/s download speed which was amazing. Somehow ..for some reason the internet speed on my Ethernet (PC) decided to drop to 10MB/s download and sometimes (rarely) it goes up to 11MB/s, it's as if my PC decided to lock the internet speed to that of 10MB/s.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The ethernet cable I'm using for my computer is this:

UGREEN Ethernet Cable, Cat 7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073WQDMCD?ref_=pe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1

My Motherboard is this:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ROG-M...IMUS+X+HERO&qid=1610295454&s=computers&sr=1-1

My CPU is this:

Intel Core i7 8700

My RAM is this:

G.Skill Trident Z RGB DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3200 Kit

My GPU is this:

RTX 2080

My PSU is this:

Corsair RM750i

I'm running my PC on Windows 10 Pro.

I hope all this info helps.

How do I solve this issue?

Solution

Fifteen days ago I had a 100MB internet line, everything was fine. My Ethernet (PC) and WiFi (Phone) had 10MB/s download & 8-10MB/s upload speed(s).

Now I have a 200MB internet line, things are not okay. My Ethernet (PC) has 10MB/s download speed & 21MB/s upload speed while my WiFi (Phone) has 21-23 MB/s download & 21MB/s upload speed(s).

Three days ago I did a format on my PC because of some PC issues, after the format the speed on my Ethernet (PC) went magically to 21-23MB/s download & 21MB/s upload speed(s) but yesterday evening I noticed my internet was slow, so I checked my download & upload speeds. My...

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
You might have to play around with your Ethernet Connection settings in Windows. Try setting Speed & Duplex value to 1 GBPS if its currently on auto negotiation. Disable all power saving options too.

kanewolf

Titan

Three days ago I did a format on my PC because of some PC issues, after the format the speed on my Ethernet (PC) went magically to 21-23MB/s download & 21MB/s upload speed(s) but yesterday evening I noticed my internet was slow, so I checked my download & upload speeds. My download went down to 10-11MB/s and upload is still staying strong on 21MB/s.

I looked for solutions on the internet on how to fix this sort of issue and I could not find anything or to put it more correctly I did find similar threads but none where answered. When it comes to 'Internet' problems I only know the very basics, this is an issue I do not know how to resolve.

In the begining when I first checked my internet speed (Before the format) I though my PC could not handle more than 10MB/s download speed(s) but for two days straight after the PC (windows) format I had a good solid 20-23MB/s download speed which was amazing. Somehow ..for some reason the internet speed on my Ethernet (PC) decided to drop to 10MB/s download and sometimes (rarely) it goes up to 11MB/s, it's as if my PC decided to lock the internet speed to that of 10MB/s.

The ethernet cable I'm using for my computer is this:

UGREEN Ethernet Cable, Cat 7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073WQDMCD?ref_=pe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1

My Motherboard is this:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ROG-M...IMUS+X+HERO&qid=1610295454&s=computers&sr=1-1

My CPU is this:

Intel Core i7 8700

My RAM is this:

G.Skill Trident Z RGB DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3200 Kit

My GPU is this:

RTX 2080

My PSU is this:

Corsair RM750i

I'm running my PC on Windows 10 Pro.

I hope all this info helps.

How do I solve this issue?
Those flat ethernet cables do not meet spec. They can cause lots of problems. Replace it with a round cat5e or cat6a 22-24ga 100% copper cable. Make sure your ethernet port does not have power saving enabled.

Don't FORCE the speed of your ethernet port to 1Gbit. It should stay in AUTO. If it won't link at 1GE, then you either have an old network device with 100Mbit ports OR a bad cable. It is usually a bad cable.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
@kanewolf - curious why 1 Gbps shouldn't be forced in OP's case to troubleshoot? Is it because it could create a mismatch between his NIC and the devices its communicating with?
Setting the speed to 1GE only masks a problem. A proper cable and a pair of 1GE capable devices will autonegotiate to 1GE. Forcing can cause buffer overflows, parity errors, and other network packet issues. The PC might be at 1GE but the router/switch at the other end has autonegotiated to 100Mbit and you get ZERO connectivity. Just leave the PC in AUTO. In this case, you aren't smarter than the hardware.

Reactions: SamirD and eszed556