Jul 1, 2020
Hi there!
So I recently decided to buy myself a new PC, for which I want to use the Corsair 220T RGB Airflow case. This case has 3 SP120 RGB Pro fans pre-installed, which isn't really enough for me so I decided to install 3 extra fans which means that I should have 6 SP120 RGB Pro fans. Now, I want to connect these 3 pin fans to my mainboard (Asus Rog Strix Z390-E Gaming) with a 4 pin Y-Splitter which is compatible with the 3 pin fans. My question here is: Is it possible to connect all those fans with the Y-Splitters to my Asus mainboard and will I be able to control the fans automatically, so that they spin faster if the temperature raises? Or am I even able to control them manually?

Solution
Yes, this can work. Your mobo has two CHA_FANn headers (one at front bottom, one mid-board toward the back) for case fans. Each of those can supply up to 1.0 A max to the total load connected. The specs of those fans say each pulls 0.30 A max, so three per header is OK. To do this you will need two 3-output Splitters like this

Well, that...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, this can work. Your mobo has two CHA_FANn headers (one at front bottom, one mid-board toward the back) for case fans. Each of those can supply up to 1.0 A max to the total load connected. The specs of those fans say each pulls 0.30 A max, so three per header is OK. To do this you will need two 3-output Splitters like this

Well, that actually is a 2-pack of four-output Splitters, but they will work. Just do NOT connect four of your fans to a single header.

Note these things.
  1. A Splitter has one input connector to go to the mobo header, and some (in this case, four) output "arms" for fans. It has NO other connections. A HUB (a different device) has an additional "arm" that must plug into a power output from the PSU, but that device only works for 4-pin fans. Do NOT get a Hub - get Splitters.
  2. These Splitters are for 4-pin fans, but work just fine with 3-pin fans.
  3. Look closely at the four output connectors. Only one of them has all 4 pins, and the others are missing Pin #3. A mobo header can only deal with the speed signal sent back to it from ONE fan, so a good Splitter ignores all the others by skipping the Pin # connection. On each Splitter you REALLY should ensure that a fan is plugged into the one output with all four pins.

When you get set up, go into BIOS Setup and configure both of the CHA_FAN headers for your 3-pin fans. See your mobo manual, p. 3-8. At upper right, choose DC Mode, not PWM, so your headers can control the fan speeds properly.

Reactions: BubifraciHD
Solution
Jul 1, 2020

Well, that actually is a 2-pack of four-output Splitters, but they will work. Just do NOT connect four of your fans to a single header.

Note these things.
  1. A Splitter has one input connector to go to the mobo header, and some (in this case, four) output "arms" for fans. It has NO other connections. A HUB (a different device) has an additional "arm" that must plug into a power output from the PSU, but that device only works for 4-pin fans. Do NOT get a Hub - get Splitters.
  2. These Splitters are for 4-pin fans, but work just fine with 3-pin fans.
  3. Look closely at the four output connectors. Only one of them has all 4 pins, and the others are missing Pin #3. A mobo header can only deal with the speed signal sent back to it from ONE fan, so a good Splitter ignores all the others by skipping the Pin # connection. On each Splitter you REALLY should ensure that a fan is plugged into the one output with all four pins.
When you get set up, go into BIOS Setup and configure both of the CHA_FAN headers for your 3-pin fans. See your mobo manual, p. 3-8. At upper right, choose DC Mode, not PWM, so your headers can control the fan speeds properly.
Perfect, thank you!