Hostile Drunk

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
I use my internet for online video games on 1 computer, 2 phones on the wifi, and two tvs on wifi for hulu and netflix. never are two tvs being used at the same time.

FULL STORY:
I currently live out of the metro area in a small town. Internet providers are very limited. I currently have 100Mbps cable internet and my only other option is 10 Mbps DSL. my current cable internet works most days but sometimes goes out completely and or is slow like 0.5-1 Mbps. They have came out multiple times and told me the line in my walls is bad and has too much interference. So what im wondering is, is it better to have a fast 100Mbps connection that is unstable or should I switch to the 10Mbps DSL connection thats stable?

Short Question: is it better to have a fast 100Mbps connection that is unstable (cuts in and out and slow sometimes) or should I switch to the 10Mbps DSL connection that is slower but stable?

Thanks for any help you provide

I can also give more information if needed.

Solution
I dont know what im looking at honestly lol this is what i got. picture below

https://ibb.co/dbF5CMZ
All of your downstream power levels are less than 0 but not terrible. The signal to noise is good at around 40db. Your uplink power at 42 is OK. There is nothing in those statistics that look HORRIBLE. You could try a replacement coax to the outside of the house (assuming there is a splitter you can tie into). You could see what the power levels are then. That will give you an idea of how "bad" the wiring in the house is. With those statistics, I don't agree that it is an in-wall wiring problem.

Hostile Drunk

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Of unstable 100mbps or stable 10mbps...neither is a good solution.

Third and best option - Identify the actual problem and fix that.
Any ideas? thats why im here i feel like ive tried everything. I bought a new modem and router and mounted the router in centrally located area not near anything that could interfere.

kanewolf

Titan
I am renting so I cannot replace the cable. I should run a temporary line to see if that is the issue i didnt even think about that.

@kanewolf i have opened the modem status page what would i be looking for?
For the downstream section the "power" should be +3db to -3db with 0db as the goal higher is better, up to a point. SNR (signal to noise) should be in the 30s -- higher is better.
Upstream power should be around 40db and lower is better.

kanewolf

Titan
I dont know what im looking at honestly lol this is what i got. picture below

https://ibb.co/dbF5CMZ
All of your downstream power levels are less than 0 but not terrible. The signal to noise is good at around 40db. Your uplink power at 42 is OK. There is nothing in those statistics that look HORRIBLE. You could try a replacement coax to the outside of the house (assuming there is a splitter you can tie into). You could see what the power levels are then. That will give you an idea of how "bad" the wiring in the house is. With those statistics, I don't agree that it is an in-wall wiring problem.

Solution