Question Feel silly, Nvidia Control Panel and windows showing 2 different refresh rates

Nov 18, 2019
EDIT: THREAD UPDATE Reinstalled GPU drivers with DDU, didn't work still. Figured I'd try to install the default .icm and it worked!

Okay,

On the "change resolution" on the nvidia control panel it shows 60hz. Changing it to 144hz just makes it instantly go back to 60hz. Then the "Adjust desktop size" on nvidia control panel shows 144hz. The windows settings show 60hz, and changing that to 144hz causes it instantly to go back to 60hz.

Even if I try to change to a lower resolution through the nvidia control panel it instantly sets itself back to 1080p. If I change to a lower resolution through windows it will stick to it, but as soon as I click on nvidia control panel it instantly goes back to 1080p. Same happens if I create a custom resolution and select that. However when playing CS I ran mat_info in console and it's reporting that the monitor is running at 144hz not 60hz.

Running the Benq XL2411z (1 monitor), gtx 1060 6gb edition, using dvi-d (The cable that came with the monitor, tried a different cable), on the newest nvidia drivers as of yesterday (assumed updating may have changed/fixed something), and Win 10.

I tried searching these wonderful forums and google but came up with nothing. Is there a solution I can try before I go through the bother of reinstalling/using ddu and installing everything again?

So, uhh, am I on 60hz or 144hz? TestUFO says I'm on 60hz so assuming that's corrct

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019
Only the Dual-Link DVI-D port can support the 144hz. Check your cable to see which one is which.
https://www.displayninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/hdmi-144hz.png

Do you try to use DisplayPort too? And the HDMI can't support the 144hz.

My monitor doesn't support DisplayPort, only HDMI, DVI-D and VGA. I am indeed using a Dual link DVI-D cable, I have made sure. I have just attempted using HDMI (I'm aware it doesn't support 144hz) and when I change the resolution from 1080p to a lower one it still instantly kicks me back to 1080p. I'm assuming because of this, and because it keeps kicking me back to 60hz that it's a nvidia issue and not a hardware issue.

https://streamable.com/21l89 a qucik video showing what I mean