[SOLVED] First-time building a computer - won't boot up

Mar 2, 2020
I've just built my first computer, and when I went to press the power button, nothing happened. The HDMI was plugged into the GPU but it was making a static-y noise, which I assume is bad. I reseated the GPU and had the same issue. I double-checked that the CPU is in correctly, which it was, and the RAM is also securely in its place. I think it is either the GPU or motherboard which is preventing the computer from booting, but it could also be the PSU (I don't know much about building PCs, so take that with a pinch of salt). I'm really worried that I might have broke the GPU or motherboard through static as I got them for a really good deal and don't have the money to get new pieces at the moment.

Any recommendations as to what I should try to make the computer boot up? I've checked some other threads but I seemed to have tried most troubleshooting tips.

---
Specs:
i5-4460 @ 3.2GHz
8GB DD3-1600 RAM (1 stick)
Gigabyte 1050Ti
Gigabyte B85M D3H Motherboard
EVGA 500W 80+ PSU
1TB WD HDD + 240GB SU630 SSD
Corsair Carbide 100R Case

Mar 2, 2020
No fans don't start spinning when I press the power button, and I have turned the plug on and off a few times now. As for the static-y noise, it's no longer happening when I put the HDMI port in the GPU. No LEDs light up anywhere, although if the cables for LEDs come from the PSU I haven't plugged them in. I will try using the iGPU right now

Mar 2, 2020
After plugging the HDMI into the motherboard (which is how I assume I'd use the iGPU), I still get no response from the monitor, fans or computer in general.

Mar 2, 2020
Correction: I think the static-y noise is coming from the PSU cord

EDIT: The PSU is fine when it isn't connected to the socket, but when I put the cable into the PSU it starts making the aforementioned "static-y" noise, I don't know what it is but perhaps this make my issue clearer?

Last edited: