Question [FIXED(?)] Help finding root cause/possible solutions for recent game crashes believed to be GPU related (D3D DEVICE HUNG/device lost)

Kres

Commendable
Dec 11, 2020
EDIT: for any future people who are searching for the same answers i was maybe this will help, my games now appear to be working after a fresh install of Windows (full clean no files saved, using the installation media like a new PC) when i did this, I also reset bios to defaults which meant NOCD (like XMP) for RAM was set to Auto. Idk if this is part of the fix or not i do not dare test stuff.

Hi all, i'm going to include as much info here as I can so apologies if it's overly bulky or anything.

Specs
GPU: Nvidia 3080 (evga xc3 ultra)
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
CPU Cooler: dark rock pro 4
PSU: 850 W gold Corsair
RAM: 32GB (2x16 sticks @3600mhz)
Using a 1440p monitor with gsync
Storage: 1TB NVME SSD
Built in Dec 2020 by me :)
DXDIAG - Click me

Overall summary of the crashes:
So back around January I would estimate, the issue has started, while playing God Of War I would crash and it would give me an error message of D3D DEVICE HUNG. This also then occurred in Chivalry 2 and other unreal engine games I played. Now, this seemed to be solved after I put nvidia control panel into debug mode, no more crashes, world was saved. Until now! About a month ago I bought plague tale requiem and uncharted legacy collection on steam and installed them together, woe was me to find out that both these games would crash after an amount of time in game! No exact times, it was often around 20 minutes or so, but sometimes would be after 10, sometimes I could almost get 45 minutes in then it would suddenly crash. I should mention that all these games run absolutely as expected on a 3080 when they are actually playing. No stuttering, smooth frames even with ray tracing and ultra settings, the games run as I would expect...so the crashes felt really random. Very annoying but i did consider maybe it was just these two games, they were both new out maybe they need patches etc... unfortunately I have since also played a couple other games and they too have crashed. These being WRC Rally, Hitman 3 (owned on Epic, played that with no issues before, now have it on steam and it is crashing) and cyberpunk 2077 (first game i played on this PC, had no issues before, now has the crash also). I have also played Chivalry 2 again, it is now also sadly crashing again but is the longest lasting out of the games. Now sadly these games don't seem to pop up with any crash message or whatever, they will just drop out. I don't BSOD or anything, it will just return me to the desktop, Uncharted has a blank error message, cyberpunk has a send report and the others have nothing. But as i mentioned, when the issues first arose around January, I did see D3D DEVICE HUNG errors, and I believe this will be linked. The crash logs I have been able to find which I will link below, also seem to mention it in some occasions.

So, this is where I lie currently. I am able to run games perfectly fine, until they inevitably crash, which means I can't really play anything because I am just constantly waiting for the crash to happen, and it does.

What I have tried so far:
  1. MSI Afterburner - Googling around alot of suggestions said these kind of errors occur after overclocking. I don't overclock, however my card is factory OC'd so I have tried turning down the clock speed for the GPU, but this has not changed anything and the crashes still occur. Same when I increased power usage to 107% and the temp limit from 83 to 86.
  2. SFC Scannow and disk clean-up - again, not changed anything. SFC did on one occasion find some corrupted files but the crashes have not ceased.
  3. DDU - multiple times now, multiple nvidia driver versions but alas, still the crash haunts me.
  4. Memtest - 0 errors on memtest, and my RAM is all reading in BIOS
  5. Cleaning my PC - Gave it a dust over, no significant amount of dust tbh even though it had been a while since it had been cleaned, just a fine layer over parts. No change.
  6. verifying game files on steam - nope, nothin'
  7. Nvidia debug mode - as mentioned, this seemed to previously work but it is not anymore.
  8. Benchmarks - ran 3dMark tests, no issues there and results were as they were when i ran it when i built the machine, and no crashes during :/ but i suppose they weren't super long so maybe if i run them longer they would crash also
  9. Changing graphics settings - no change
  10. Changing sound Hz - bit of a weird one but i noticed mention of sound in one of the crash logs, so disabled other sound devices and turned down hz but nah no change again
  11. Clean boot - clean booted windows with all background programs and startup programs disabled. Games still crash.
  12. HWInfo/Aida64/gpu-z - I don't fully understand what to look for in these i won't lie, but i couldn't see anything obvious like giant spikes etc before a crash. Task manager would have a spike under "3D"a at the time of the crash but I am assuming thats to do with the crash itself as opposed to the cause.
  13. Asking the internet - I asked reddit's tech support discord to look at some crash logs since I don't understand them. One user was thrown off by it because apparently they kept mentioning "breakpoints" which he said would mean everyone would be crashing...idk i don't understand it. Another user indicated it is probably GPU related and I should RMA.

So that is where I stand now. My next action will be to reinstall windows which I plan to do tonight. But based on what I have seen so far I do think I will be looking to RMA my graphics card. Sad. I am here to ask for extra opinions, and hoping some people may be able to look at the crash logs in case there is anything I have missed or is being overlooked, or even if there are obvious signs that the GPU is at fault and I should definitely RMA!

If it helps, i did notice most of the games involved are on direct3d 12 which I assume is directx12. I recall playing Control back in 2021 and it would lag right out on dx12 so I had to switch to dx11, wonder if that's linked?

Crash logs I could find from last couple days that are plain text (pastebin links):

WRC Rally dxdiag crash
Cyberpunk gpucrsh

Cyberpunk second file

Chivalry 2 - 1

Chivalry 2 - 2

Chivalry 2 - 3

Chivalry 2 - older crash from June

I also have crash dumps that people said had to be viewed through WinDBG, I don't know if im allowed to link zip files or not but if someone wants to take a look at them let me know, i wouldn't know where to start. These are where someone said it looked like "breakpoints".

Anyway, overall I am desperate. Can't game, guessing my gpu is at fault and I should RMA but looking for expert opinion before I go down that route !!! ANY help is appreciated :)

Last edited:

Kres

Commendable
Dec 11, 2020
use whocrashed to read minidump in plain text and what happens if you remove the gpu driver and use only the os generic ones .
One of the crashdumps called WATCHDOG, which was originally in LiveKernelRports says the following:

This is a video related crash. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver:
nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 526.98 , NVIDIA Corporation).

the plague tale requiem crashed and HITMAN 3 crashes points to

C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
but google says thats quite a generic crash? also says

Kres

Commendable
Dec 11, 2020
use whocrashed to read minidump in plain text and what happens if you remove the gpu driver and use only the os generic ones .
Also have uninstalled the drivers to test what you said, the games in question won't open, uncharted opens an error message saying incompatible GPU, a GPU supporting D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_12_0 or higher is required.

Kres

Commendable
Dec 11, 2020
I don't seem to be able to edit it now but just wanna say a month on games are all working etc good as new so recommend the suggestion in my edit