[SOLVED] flashing artifacts when playing games, artifacts on screen at desktop, GPU issue or computer issue?

Feb 4, 2021
Hello everyone, so I am pretty new to the PC gang, built my PC about 2 months ago now, and since the beginning I have been having problems with artifacts, my computer crashing fully getting a automatic repair loops and having to reinstall windows, and now flickering artifacts when playing games that are in a more 3d landscape like skyrim of EA Battlefront 2 but have not seen any artifacts when playing a game such as stardew valley. Artifacts also show up on my deskltop when for example I was downloading DLC from Skyrim off of steam yesterday. I have already RMA'd one graphics card and received a new one and while this one worked for the first 30 minutes of gameplay when I first installed it, it now is also flashing artifacts while playing games, for example at this link:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85cfQcyR6o&feature=youtu.be

My Computer Specs are
Processor: Intel Core i5-9400 CPU @ 2.9 GHZ
Motherboard- ASUS PRIME b360m-A Micro ATX LGA1151
Memory- Corsair Vengance LPX 16 GB ddr4-3200 Cl16
Storage- Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB m.2-2280 NVME solid State Drive
GPU- EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2167
Power supply- EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze certified Semi-modular ATX
My temps when playing a game have not gone above 65 degrees Celsius when watching the temps in Skyrim and when checking the BIOS for the voltage to my 12v rail it was 12.096 volts in the range of what EVGA recommends. I have also reseated my card already and made sure it is firmly in place. I tried to ask EVGA again for help and followed all of their instructions to try to fix but nothing is working. If anyone has any ideas please lmk thank you.

Last edited:
I'm having artifacts too is there away to fix this?
It depends. Memory errors due to hardware can be for multiple reasons, some of which are faulty memory chip or chips, partial chip (either memory or GPU) separation from the board, or bad memory controller line. Those can be fixed by reseating or replacing the IC(s), replacing the memory controller means replacing the main IC, which is an expensive part, memory ICs are not that bad but still considerably pricey if you buy a whole set. Reseating is just labor, it is not as easy as it seems. In some cases, the PCB pads are damaged and the card goes to the trash bin... The key is finding which exact thing is causing the problem.

Reactions: rren

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
Artifacts are GPU memory errors in most cases. Early Turing cards are known for having memory issues.
Thanks for replying. I should had mentioned, the screen went black and went on a loop to bios screen when installing nvidia driver. It seemed it wanted to go full screen but it couldn't. I tried all nvidia versions and combination of windows builds.

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
GPU is bad.
ok I just tried going back to windows 7 original cd, gigabtye orignal cd drivers, and zotac driver orignal cd. it went full screen and was ok but after for an hr it had artifacts like space invadors rectangle boxes. I then upgraded to windows 10 1803 build and it went full screen fine with no artifacts after about 30 minutes but then the screen went black and restarted with blue screen error. so it's 100% bad? right? I just want to make sure because those guys in Nvida forum are blaming windows 10 conflicting with Nvidia driver. thankyou so much.

ok I just tried going back to windows 7 original cd, gigabtye orignal cd drivers, and zotac driver orignal cd. it went full screen and was ok but after for an hr it had artifacts like space invadors rectangle boxes. I then upgraded to windows 10 1803 build and it went full screen fine with no artifacts after about 30 minutes but then the screen went black and restarted with blue screen error. so it's 100% bad? right? I just want to make sure because those guys in Nvida forum are blaming windows 10 conflicting with Nvidia driver. thankyou so much.
It's dead, Jim!

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran