Specs:
I7-7700K cpu
Asus Strix Z270E mobo
Asus geforce gtx 1080
Evga 850 gt psu
G skill TridentZ RGB series 16GB DDR4
Corsair h100i v2 water cooler

Issue:
Was using PC and it randomly shut off on me. No warnings. Went to restart, and nothing happens when I push power button.

Figured the psu took a dump so ordered and replaced (same model as those psu's had real good ratings). With new psu, same result...no fans or reaction from mobo.

Noticed a blinking orange light (power LED) on mobo. Thought I'd try the paper clip test on both psus...(evga comes with a jumper cap...essentially the same thing as clip test. Both psu fans cranked up. I know this isnt fool proof but likely have 2 good psus still).

Back to light, it blinks every second or so. I unplugged everything from mobo except CPU cooler to see if it would fire up... so far nothing... just a blinking orange power LED and no reaction whatsoever from anything.

Also, I replaced the cmos battery and "cleared"...nothing

Ideas? Im thinking mobo, but been reading it could be cpu, or RAM (I've reseated sticks, swapped, dropped down to 1 stick... nothing). Is there a way to isolate without spending money on parts I can't send back after using? Thanks in advance

FWIW, I have had this set up for about 1.5 years...no issues, well, until now

Reactions: PyroMSI

texhater

Commendable
Jun 8, 2019
stick with 1 thread
Specs:
I7-7700K cpu
Asus Strix Z270E mobo
Asus geforce gtx 1080
Evga 850 gt psu
G skill TridentZ RGB series 16GB DDR4
Corsair h100i v2 water cooler

Issue:
Was using PC and it randomly shut off on me. No warnings. Went to restart, and nothing happens when I push power button.

Figured the psu took a dump so ordered and replaced (same model as those psu's had real good ratings). With new psu, same result...no fans or reaction from mobo.

Noticed a blinking orange light (power LED) on mobo. Thought I'd try the paper clip test on both psus...(evga comes with a jumper cap...essentially the same thing as clip test. Both psu fans cranked up. I know this isnt fool proof but likely have 2 good psus still).

Back to light, it blinks every second or so. I unplugged everything from mobo except CPU cooler to see if it would fire up... so far nothing... just a blinking orange power LED and no reaction whatsoever from anything.

Also, I replaced the cmos battery and "cleared"...nothing

Ideas? Im thinking mobo, but been reading it could be cpu, or RAM (I've reseated sticks, swapped, dropped down to 1 stick... nothing). Is there a way to isolate without spending money on parts I can't send back after using? Thanks in advance

texhater

Commendable
Jun 8, 2019
Welp, verified stand offs were in place...reseated motherboard...hooked up cpu and cooler to mobo...as soon as I click the switch on the psu, I just get the blinking "amber" light on "pwr LED" light and nothing powers up....sigh

Side note:
Went ahead and threw in GPU to see if that did anything...still nothing, but I did notice I was getting 2 red blinking LEDS next to the power connectors on the GPU. Those red LEDs were blinking at the same exact time the amber light on the mobo would blink. The blinking on the GPU only went away when I plugged in power cables from psu. Is this another brick on the scale for the mobo? Or is it nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.