For those who's considering a Phenom X3 720 BE

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
If you're considering upgrading or purchasing a Phenom X3 720BE, DO NOT EXPECT YOUR CPU TO HAVE A UNLOCKABLE CORE!!!

Case in point:

Idiot.png

Note:

When you buy an X3, you DO NOT expect it to be able to unlocked to have a fourth core; you EXPECT it to have three core. If you happen to stumble across a sample with an unlockable fourth core, consider yourself lucky, don't expect it. Also, it doesn't matter if you have an ASUS or Gigabyte or Biostar board, if you only have an X3 with three functional cores, it doesn't matter if you use a omgwtfbbqpwnzored board or not, you'll still get three cores.

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
yeah , erm thats why its called the x3 , surely this chip is outstanding value even with "only" 3 cores , and 3.7 ghz is around a 25 % increase , not bad imho

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
What a joke. Idiot gives it 3 out of 5 because the "4th" core wasnt unlockable? Must have been one of the fools up here dr00ling and wanking all over the news when it broke.

This thread should be stickied.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Just like those who complained that they couldn't overclock their Phenom II over 4.0Ghz on air. Both overclocking and unlocking a fourth core IS NOT GUARANTEED! Both AMD and motherboard manufacturers only promise stock operation. If your component can't perform at stock, they're at fault. But if you tried to take things further, its entirely your own risk.

Newegg really needs to take that "Tech Level" down, as it is useless to say the least.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Agreed, I sent a letter to them a long time ago about peeps knocking a product do to their own insufficient knowledge and suggested a forum link of some sort where users could respond to resolve their issues or something like it.

They ended up doing the eggXpert thing but not sure if that actually helped.

The manufacturers response's sometimes help out.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Was it here? I don't remember. I read somewhere a `tard returned his 720 because the 4th core wouldn't unlock. I agree with taking the Tech Level off. People claim a high level but don't understand why the light on their floppy drive stays on.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

If you meant OC ability, yes. If you meant what you meant, no.

It'd be like getting extra cooling for a 3 cylinder engine, won't change the fact its three cylinder.