Sep 30, 2021
So I have a laptop, an Alienware 17R4 with a GTX 1080, an i7-7820HK, and 16gb of RAM, for about 4 years and only this year I had to upgrade my storage hardware, becuase the ssd that came with the computer was presenting SMART events about it's lifetime (i checked on crystaldisk and it was at 4% critical) so I bought two nvme from KingDian on Aliexpress that my boyfriend and some of his friends recomended to me (he and his friends use the same ssd as me for more than 1 year and works fine never had any problems) before I had an SATA 1tb drive as my data path and an ssd 128gb (not nvme) as my system path, so I changed both to nvme drives (256gb and 1tb each) and after that I started to experience several FPS drops on all games that I run like League of Legends that I used to run at 120 fps allways and now it drops randomly to 25/30 and increses to arround 90/120 and keeps oscilating, Mortal Kombat 11 that I ran at 60 fps medium at the game benchmark and now the medium fps is arround 25, Nier Replicant has the same thing, it never dropped the fps but now it just oscilate randomly. I don't know what to do because I've allready reinstalled W10 ran all of the Dell scans and some others and everything is working fine. Some friends told me that nvme ssds tend to heat a lot more than normal ones and that is what's might be causing the drops, and I'm using my coolers at max speed but when I touch the heat exits is really hot, before I wouldn't pay so much attention to the thermals because It would reah high values but it wouldnt thermal throttle (now I can't remember if the GPU used to reach 90°C before the change but I've seen my CPU do it before), but now I think that really is heating up more than before, but crystaldisk normaly shows my storage drives at arround 45°C, i'm not sure if it could actually be the heat or the nvme drives or my video card, I'm just lost.
All the games I run are at max graphics settings (I even ran Shadow of the Tomb Raider at max with 60fps before the change)
FULL SPECS
Alienware 17R4
GTX 1080 (8gb vram)
Intel HD Graphics 630 (8gb vram) the integrated video card is never used
i7-7820HK
16gb RAM (2400Mhz)
Nvme 256gb ssd from KingDian (previows 128gb SK hynix SC308 SATA 128gb
Nvme 1tb ssd from KingDian (previows 1tb SATA hd HTS721010A9E630)
Update: I tried to run MK11 at the 256gb drive to see if anything changes but was all the same
sorry if I misspelled anything, I'm brazilian and don't practice my English very often

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021
Somehow the computer started working fine again after I switched the places of the ssds, idk if it makes any sense but I tested on MK11 and played for half an hour and was completely fine also on League of Legends no problems at all, as the other games download I'll test the rest of them, but it's solved I guess.