Jul 28, 2021
Set up:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CjzCTJ

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix X-470-F
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
RAM: Trident Z Neo RGB 32GB (2x16) CL16
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor OC

So recently I decided to upgrade my ram from 16GB C18 to 32GB C16. Both Trident Z NEO RGB, 2x8 vs 2x16. PC had no problems with any games whatsoever prior to installing the new ram. I am not sure what NVIDIA driver I was on before, but when I installed the new RAM I also updated to the most recent NVIDIA driver 471.41. PC did POST, I OC the RAM D.O.C.P. to 3600mhz no problem, atleast I thought. While on the Desktop I saw issues accruing with Wallpaper Engine, some glitches and screen bugging. Suddenly started getting random black screening for a second or two and then fixed itself. I tried getting on Warzone and kept crashing in the lobby. "Dev error 6068", and "5763 "kept popping up, one is for error with outdated drivers and the other error with DirectX. I tried forcing it to use DirectX11 instead of 12, lowering the VRAM, all settings on low or off, scan and repair, uninstall/reinstall, SFC and DISM scans and repairs, setting GPU to high performance, underclocking back to 2133mhz, disabling the OC on my GPU, reverting to an older driver, uninstalling the driver and letting it download it itself, reseating the RAM, disabling all non Microsoft services, updating BIOS, literally anything I could find on the internet to fix it. After some restart the crashing stopped and I thought I fixed it running the 466.77 driver. I wanted to avoid disabling GeForce Experience since I use ShadowPlay, and also wanted to installing Winows over again and wiping my drive. Then when I played GTA V, it would crash while playing sometime just freezing and crashing or giving me the error "err_gfx_init" which can stem from a lot of potential issues but the one I think is causing it is "The game is crashing because the system doesn’t have enough resources to run it with DX11". So I once again redid all the same attempts at fixing it. and got it to work on an even older driver 457.51. But once again I had issues with Warzone. I tried reverting to what fixed it last time and then neither of them worked. I thought my new RAM might be faulty so I downloaded memtest86 and put it on a USB and ran a test but scored 100% with no errors. Test Results. I put the old RAM back and, had to reset the CMOS to POST but my PC is up again and I am not having any issues anymore. RAM is overclocked, nothing has changed other than the RAM being used. I am not sure if this is a problem with the RAM but maybe it is a problem with the Mobo and compatibility to the RAM. Planned on upgrading to an X570 board regardless when I buy a 3080, but if the RAM is the issue I need to get those replaced first. And I would also like to avoid buying a new Mobo that will encounter the same problems.

Thank you,

Yami

Solution
During the Post cycle your RAM are interrogated for their SPD. (Serial Presence Detect) and If the SPD values are beyond JDEC standards, then a safe set of values are set in an attempt to Boot the system. Sort of like a training excersize and sometimes the system reboots several times and will usually set a frequency well below what they are rated for. If there is a SPD profile like XMP or D.O.C.P in bios then activate that for an easy Overclock. Your MB supports up to 3600Mhz so you should be OK.

However with OC RAM (3600Mhz is OC RAM) there is no guarantee you will reach the specified rated frequency in which case you have to manually tweak timings and voltage in Bios.
Your 3900x officially supports up to 3200Mhz so it relies on the...
Set up:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CjzCTJ

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix X-470-F
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
RAM: Trident Z Neo RGB 32GB (2x16) CL16
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor OC

So recently I decided to upgrade my ram from 16GB C18 to 32GB C16. Both Trident Z NEO RGB, 2x8 vs 2x16. PC had no problems with any games whatsoever prior to installing the new ram.

If your experiencing problems like sudden shutdowns or freezes then it's probably due to your mixing RAM like you have. Mixing RAM kits is never a good idea especially with different CL Cas Latency.
Also you did not mention at what frequency your Dimms are rated for, which also makes a difference and has maybe created a mismatch.

Jul 28, 2021
If your experiencing problems like sudden shutdowns or freezes then it's probably due to your mixing RAM like you have. Mixing RAM kits is never a good idea especially with different CL Cas Latency.
Also you did not mention at what frequency your Dimms are rated for, which also makes a difference and has maybe created a mismatch.
Sorry, don't know how I missed the frequency, both pairs are rated at 3600 mhz. I wasn't mixing the RAM though, I had 16GB CL18 installed, and I swapped them out with the 32GB CL16. The problems only occur when the 32GB pair is installed regardless at what frequency they are OC too.

During the Post cycle your RAM are interrogated for their SPD. (Serial Presence Detect) and If the SPD values are beyond JDEC standards, then a safe set of values are set in an attempt to Boot the system. Sort of like a training excersize and sometimes the system reboots several times and will usually set a frequency well below what they are rated for. If there is a SPD profile like XMP or D.O.C.P in bios then activate that for an easy Overclock. Your MB supports up to 3600Mhz so you should be OK.

However with OC RAM (3600Mhz is OC RAM) there is no guarantee you will reach the specified rated frequency in which case you have to manually tweak timings and voltage in Bios.
Your 3900x officially supports up to 3200Mhz so it relies on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip which will determine what frequency you will achieve.

Test each memory module separately and in situ by running Memtest86 from a USB and run 4 passes to check for errors. If any errors are found then RMA the full kit.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 28, 2021

Your 3900x officially supports up to 3200Mhz so it relies on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip which will determine what frequency you will achieve.

Test each memory module separately and in situ by running Memtest86 from a USB and run 4 passes to check for errors. If any errors are found then RMA the full kit.

Okay, I ran a memtest86 on both sticks separately by themselves in the system and both passed 4 checks with no errors. What do I do now?

Okay, I ran a memtest86 on both sticks separately by themselves in the system and both passed 4 checks with no errors. What do I do now?
What Bios version are you on? current version is 5851.

With the kit of RAM you intend to use, Just have a single module in the slot meant for single channel mode (refer to your manual) and try booting with that.

If you can access Bios then obtain your SPD values from the Tools section and manually enter the Timings and voltage in DRAM timing control and DRAM voltage.
Sometimes it takes a small increase in DRAM voltage for them to work (no more than .01 voltage steps at a time).
You can also try changing the Command rate to 2t to test.

Should using a single module from either kit at 3200Mhz or 3600Mhz not work then it may be you have a dead slot. Try switching modules around to determine if the RAM slots are working.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021
Okay, I plan on using the 2x16GB 3600mhz C16 sticks. I copied the SPD values and manually entered them, and when place in slots B2 (slot for single channel mode), and A2, both sticks worked. Tried 1 stick first and then the second and both worked fine in those slots. Didn't need to add any more voltage than the 1.35V the SPD stated. I did try them in slots B1, and A1 and in those slots it did fail to POST and reset them down to 2133mhz.

Bios is version is 5809 but I did update it just now to 5851.

Okay, I plan on using the 2x16GB 3600mhz C16 sticks. I copied the SPD values and manually entered them, and when place in slots B2 (slot for single channel mode), and A2, both sticks worked. Tried 1 stick first and then the second and both worked fine in those slots. Didn't need to add any more voltage than the 1.35V the SPD stated. I did try them in slots B1, and A1 and in those slots it did fail to POST and reset them down to 2133mhz.

Bios is version is 5809 but I did update it just now to 5851.

OK so you have them working at 3600Mhz? So your good to go. (y)

Jul 28, 2021
That wasn't the problem. My previous ram was 16 GB CL18 running 3600mhz, but when installed the new RAM 32GB CL16, is when I started getting all the errors in game. Both pairs are able to boot up at 3600mhz, but for some reason on the 32GB pair I have game crashes and when I reinstall my previous RAM they all go away.

That wasn't the problem. My previous ram was 16 GB CL18 running 3600mhz, but when installed the new RAM 32GB CL16, is when I started getting all the errors in game. Both pairs are able to boot up at 3600mhz, but for some reason on the 32GB pair I have game crashes and when I reinstall my previous RAM they all go away.

I could understand it if the 32GB were two individual kits of 16GB but why games crashing I have no idea.

Maybe it's best to stick with the Previous RAM.
Is there a reason to have 32GB?

Jul 28, 2021
Nope, just 2x16GB sticks, and I upgraded because I do a lot of video and photo editing with Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects, and Premeire Pro. Maybe need to upgrade CPU or MOBO? When I get a 3080 I plan on upgrading the PSU.