spacepillow

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Hi folks,

Ever since a month ago or so, I've noticed that the gamma on my computer is really high. I tried to go into display calibration, and I lowered it (though strangely, it was still on the higher end of things.. near the bottom was about the middleground for gamma), but it reverts back to its bright self. Interestingly, clicking 'display settings' on my desktop briefly changes the colour back to normal. Maybe some old software is at play? I uninstalled every third-party program (I think) that could tune display things, save for my graphics card's (AMD) software.

Any help on this? I can post any info you need as needed. Thanks.

EDIT:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: AMD MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix (I believe)
Gigabyte motherboard
Acer 144hz monitor. Don't know the exact make, can try and find it if needed.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi folks,

Ever since a month ago or so, I've noticed that the gamma on my computer is really high. I tried to go into display calibration, and I lowered it (though strangely, it was still on the higher end of things.. near the bottom was about the middleground for gamma), but it reverts back to its bright self. Interestingly, clicking 'display settings' on my desktop briefly changes the colour back to normal. Maybe some old software is at play? I uninstalled every third-party program (I think) that could tune display things, save for my graphics card's (AMD) software.

EDIT:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model monitor(s)?

Video and audio connections?

Start by manually downloading the applicable GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Run the built in Windows (10?) troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try running "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

spacepillow

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model monitor(s)?

Video and audio connections?

Start by manually downloading the applicable GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Run the built in Windows (10?) troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Try running "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161
Updated post with information. SFC scan found no integrity violations. Reinstalled my graphics card's drivers already. I'm using a dvi cable. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, tried different ports on my graphics card and it didn't make a difference. What troubleshooters should I try?

spacepillow

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Updated post with information. SFC scan found no integrity violations. Reinstalled my graphics card's drivers already. I'm using a dvi cable. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, tried different ports on my graphics card and it didn't make a difference. What troubleshooters should I try?
Ran the display troubleshooter. Didn't find anything.

Ralston18

Titan
Try another known working DVI cable and/or other video cable types if possible and available.

Try another known working monitor on your computer.

Try your monitor on another known working computer.

Determine if the gamma problem follows the monitor or stays with your computer.

Key is to narrow down the source of the problem either directly or by elimination.

spacepillow

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Try another known working DVI cable and/or other video cable types if possible and available.

Key is to narrow down the source of the problem either directly or by elimination.
I think I tried this monitor on another computer a while back and it didn't have the issue. Since it briefly went away when I hit display settings I'd imagine it's something with windows. I'm mostly sure that it's a problem with windows.

spacepillow

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015

OH! Very important thing to note: When I turn down the gamma in Windows' Display Calibration, it lowers but then immediately turns back to it's bright and washed-out colour. This is at least partly an issue with windows.

spacepillow

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015

Fixed it!

This.... makes zero sense to me. I reinstalled and factory reset my radeon sofware/drivers.... for a second time.. and now it seems to have gone away. Maybe a recent driver update did it. Thanks for helping me pin things down!

spacepillow

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Hi folks,

EDIT:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: AMD MSI R9 390 8GB
RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix (I believe)
Gigabyte motherboard
Acer 144hz monitor. Don't know the exact make, can try and find it if needed.
SOLUTION: I reset windows. It was probably some lingering software I used to mess with my brightness.

Solution
Jun 1, 2021
this seems to have solved it... but the problem is that i can't really seem to get a good picture with the nvidia control panel settings... my monitor is a lg 27ea33 ips monitor and my graphics cards is a nvidia gtx 760ti.

Source