ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
I don't necessarily know what to do in my situation. Basically, my computer has been built for probably around 5 months now, never had a blue screen or system crash, and have built a couple PCs now. However, coming back after a weekend of the system being off and inactive, I started to frequently get BSODs, specifically irql_not_less_or_equal, kernel security check failure, dpc watchdog violation, and page fault in non paged area are the ones I have seen the most and remember. I have looked up fixes on each of them and tried the reccomended things i've seen but to no success. I have used ddu, tried older drivers, tried new drivers, reinstalled windows, wiped all drives, taken apart and cleaned system. I am pretty comfortable with the hardware side of problems, but this seems to be very much not that, and am in need of some help if anyone can get an idea for whaat is going on.

I have actually seen some posts on here recently about BSODs, but I have no clue what is happening when they are talking about potential fixes or even if they are the same problem, sorry for the ignorance on all of this software stuff, it has just never happened to me.

The specs of my PC are

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
MSI Pro b450M
32 GB G Skill Ripjaws (2 2x8 kits)
Samsung 980 series 1TB M.2 SSD
1TB Sata SSD
1TB HDD
Windows 10 Enterprise

Like I said, nothing like this has ever happened before on this PC so its really out of nowhere. I will be keeping closely posted to this thread so please feel to ask for more information on what I might have done, or if you need me to carry out some steps.

Thanks a lot in advance

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Ok thanks a lot, I made the minidump and am no currently testing the ram on memtest. I am about 1 hour 30 in and 2 passes are done on the first stick. Do you reccomend trying for 4 passes on all sticks? Everyone says it takes a very long time but if that’s the way it has to be I understand.

Colif

Win 11 Master
we used to recommend 8 passes per stick but free version only allows max of 4 now. The more you run, the more chance you see any errors.

try running with just 1 set in. I didn't notice you said it was 2 sets. Ryzen CPU picky about ram, having 2 non matching sets in could be enough to cause the BSOD.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
we used to recommend 8 passes per stick but free version only allows max of 4 now. The more you run, the more chance you see any errors.

try running with just 1 set in. I didn't notice you said it was 2 sets. Ryzen CPU picky about ram, having 2 non matching sets in could be enough to cause the BSOD.
I have been running the tests 1 stick at a time, hopefully that’s fine but if I should be running them as a duo I can do the tests again. The first 3 passes with no errors and the last one I put in before I left for work so will check on it when I get back. Would be weird if the two different sets caused the problem imo since they are the same speed and model besides date, and I never had the problem in the past months. But I could always try running just one of the sets after and see if the bsods recur. Will post again for hen I know about the 4th stick

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
I have been running the tests 1 stick at a time, hopefully that’s fine but if I should be running them as a duo I can do the tests again. The first 3 passes with no errors and the last one I put in before I left for work so will check on it when I get back. Would be weird if the two different sets caused the problem imo since they are the same speed and model besides date, and I never had the problem in the past months. But I could always try running just one of the sets after and see if the bsods recur. Will post again for hen I know about the 4th stick
Checked on the progress during my break, all 4 ram sticks passed individually and I took pictures of all of the final screens. Have to go back to work for a couple hours but set up the individual sets in dual channel in case that mattered when you talked about it in previous message

May 20, 2022

I am having a similar problem except i’m having a reference_by_pointer error. Trying everything I can buy nothing yet. Uploaded my mini dump files so waiting until Colif here is able to get back to me with what is within those minidump files.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
I am having a similar problem except i’m having a reference_by_pointer error. Trying everything I can buy nothing yet. Uploaded my mini dump files so waiting until Colif here is able to get back to me with what is within those minidump files.
how consistent are your bsods? Because mine definitely seem to occur when I start to run multiple programs like chrome, discord, and a game etc… But sometimes I can do all of those and it doesn’t crash, just run the risk… just wondering to see if there is any rhyme to the reason

edit: also sometimes I just crash without a BSOD, it’s just like a quick restart with no message and also sometimes the bsods just clump and start to do it multiple times in a row

Last edited:
May 20, 2022
how consistent are your bsods? Because mine definitely seem to occur when I start to run multiple programs like chrome, discord, and a game etc… But sometimes I can do all of those and it doesn’t crash, just run the risk… just wondering to see if there is any rhyme to the reasons
Yep. Whenever i’m running a program it occurs , but it doesn’t happen immidiately.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Yep. Whenever i’m running a program it occurs , but it doesn’t happen immidiately.
Yeah sounds similar to me. I just loaded up windows for the first time since testing all of the ram sticks and got 3 Bsods in a row, all page fault error in non pages area. Running with just one of the ram kits too

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaGxwiKoyxljY7ZMEN0L-_qdcEGeDlLn/view?usp=sharing

Went through several crashes to get them, so i got a second one full of new ones!

May 20, 2022
Yeah sounds similar to me. I just loaded up windows for the first time since testing all of the ram sticks and got 3 Bsods in a row, all page fault error in non pages area. Running with just one of the ram kits too
Yeah i just got windbg to read the mini dumps but i have no idea what they say. Might resort to a system wipe tbh but i don’t want to since i can’t even restore and keep my personal files for some reaosn

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Yeah i just got windbg to read the mini dumps but i have no idea what they say. Might resort to a system wipe tbh but i don’t want to since i can’t even restore and keep my personal files for some reaosn
it’s a real pain, but maybe try and wait for the system wipe a bit. I ended up wiping in the windows menu upon a safe reboot and it hasn’t really changed anything. I was planning to do a fresh install soon anyways so it didn’t matter to me, but if you don’t plan on it maybe wait it out is my advice

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have been running the tests 1 stick at a time, hopefully that’s fine but if I should be running them as a duo I can do the tests again.

no, that is fine. I can see how below caused confusion...

what I meant here was not in relation to memtest. It was badly placed...

What I really meant to say is mixing 2 different sets could be reason you getting the BSOD. Try running windows with just one set in and see if you still BSOD

the person I will be asking to check both this post and the one by @Machu101 hasn't replied yet, so don't do anything drastic until I get a reply.

Last edited:
May 20, 2022

What I really meant to say is mixing 2 different sets could be reason you getting the BSOD. Try running with just one set in and see if you still BSOD

the person I will be asking to check both this post and the one by @Machu101 hasn;t replied yet, so don't do anything drastic until I get a reply.
I will not either, Do you know what software he uses? I downloaded windbg to hopefully read it but the info that comes out i don’t know how to lol.

May 20, 2022
I’ve tried but others have not answered, Some one on the windows forums suggested i do the extended memory diagnostic so that’s why i’m doing it now, But no one has been able to read the dumps yet. Fingers crossed you’re contact is able to reply soon. I appreciate youre help so far!

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016

What I really meant to say is mixing 2 different sets could be reason you getting the BSOD. Try running windows with just one set in and see if you still BSOD

the person I will be asking to check both this post and the one by @Machu101 hasn't replied yet, so don't do anything drastic until I get a reply.
Yeah after the memtest I tried running windows with either set of ram, and both times I got multiple successive crashes sadly

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/hqfgpw0u/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:070122-14156-01.dmp (Jul 1 2022 - 18:23:14)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007F)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process running at time of crash: Registry)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:070122-13890-01.dmp (Jul 1 2022 - 18:29:35)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:Pool_Corruption (Process running at time of crash: taskhostw.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:070122-13765-01.dmp (Jul 1 2022 - 18:16:12)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: Registry)

File information:070122-13734-01.dmp (Jul 1 2022 - 18:28:41)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process running at time of crash: UsoClient.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

File information:062322-8968-01.dmp (Jun 23 2022 - 21:24:17)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: opera.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-PRO-VDH-MAX
There is a BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: ClassV

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/hqfgpw0u/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:070122-14156-01.dmp (Jul 1 2022 - 18:23:14)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007F)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process running at time of crash: Registry)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:070122-13890-01.dmp (Jul 1 2022 - 18:29:35)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:Pool_Corruption (Process running at time of crash: taskhostw.exe)

File information:070122-13765-01.dmp (Jul 1 2022 - 18:16:12)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: Registry)

File information:070122-13734-01.dmp (Jul 1 2022 - 18:28:41)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process running at time of crash: UsoClient.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

File information:062322-8968-01.dmp (Jun 23 2022 - 21:24:17)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: opera.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-PRO-VDH-MAX
There is a BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

thanks a lot, ill look into it after work tomorrow and maybe some answers might have flown around by then as well. Super helpful stuff and really appreciated