Hello, I just got my NAS complete and hopefully will run for more than a day before going offline like last time.

Specs:
Intel Pentium N3530 Quad Core
8gb DDR3
HP S700 120GB SATA III SSD set as Windows Storage share because I couldn't figure out how to make it a cache drive for the HDD.
Seagate Barracuda 2tb SATAIII 7200RPM HDD set a backup share in Windows.
FreeNAS-11.1-U7 installed onto an ancient PNY 8gb SataII USB stick.

The 2TB drive is powered externally and plugged into the laptop's optical drive slimline connector using a modified SATA data cable, but it works. Kind of funny the bios says [ODD: Seagate 2TB]

Finally, as many times as I have heard USAFRet drill it into peoples heads, I want a solution to backup all of the files on the PCs in my house automatically.

As most of the PCs in my house have 1 or 2 small SSDs, the 2TB should be enough in theory. I'm not ready to buy another drive either.
What is a free and easy to use program that can do this?

USAFRet

Titan
Use what I use...Macrium Reflect.
The free version is just fine.

Automated, on whatever schedule you desire.

USAFRet

Titan
Full and Incremental or Differential images.

A single Image is a single snapshot in time.
You want to keep things current.

My main system does an Incremental every night. I could recreate the system (or any individual drive) from any day in the last month or so.

I swear i hate this more and more. I went to connect to the nas the next morning and it wouldnt...

Went into the web interface and it said a hdd error with my 2tb drive. I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in. Rebooted the nas via the web interface and now nothing.

Cant ping the NAS nor connect to it via the web interface.

This happened 3 times before without the disk error where it just goes offline randomly.

USAFRet

Titan
The first Full backup takes a while.
The subsequent Incremental or Differentials don't.

I have the paid version on my main system. That gives the functionality of Forever Incremental.
A first Full image, then incrementals for as long as you set it.

The only issue with Incrementals is that you need ALL of them in the middle.
A differential, you just need the most recent Diff and the original Full.

But, Incrementals go much much faster and are each much smaller. It is only the changes since the last Inc.
A Diff is all the changes since the last Full.

Each of my drives is on its own schedule.
Midnight, 0100, 0200, etc...

Other systems in the house are on their own schedule.
My wifes system does a Full every night, keep for 1 week, deleting the oldest.
My HTPC does a Full once a week.

And then of course, the entirety of the NAS is backed up to a whole other enclosure once in a while.
It is doing that right now, 9% complete.

USAFRet

Titan
So after the full backup and differential backups complete there will never be more than 2 files?
No, it depends on how many Differentials you tell it to keep.

You could set it to do a Diff nightly, and keep a weeks worth. Or a month.
For recovery, you select the specific Diff you want, and it recovers using that and the previous Full.

Say your system got a major infection on Thursday, but you didn't notice until Saturday.
You'd select the Diff from the day before the BadThing happened, Wednesday or earlier, and recover with that.