Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashBang

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Hi guys,

So I've been having this issue with my PC shutting down randomly over the past while. It just powers down with no warning and then turns back on. The time between shutdowns is completely random, ranging from days to minutes. After trying to reinstall windows, trying a new power supply and taking it in to a PC repair place (who tested my hardware, and said everything is good), I've resorted to a painfully slow process of elimination.

I've been running Open Hardware Monitor while working on the PC and noticed that before it shuts down, the GPU clock spikes an insanely high for a few minutes. I've got a GTX 770 4gb in right now, but it did the same with my GTX 750 2gb. I thought it might be my drivers but I did a fresh windows installation and installed new drivers yesterday.

Here are my the Open Hardware Monitor Logs: View: https://imgur.com/a/PT4ok4I

I don't know a whole ton about GPU's...
Could this be what is causing the shutdown or is this normal?

CrashBang

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Please provide FULL PC specs. What's the make and model number of your PSU ?

CURRENT PC SPECS:
PSU: Gigabyte GreenMax Plus 550w
GPU: GTX 770 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
RAM: 6x 2GB Kingston

I swapped out the previous PSU (was a Gigabyte Odin GT 550w) and GPU (was a GTX 750 2GB) to test if those were the cause and am still getting the same issues.

CrashBang

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I suspect this PSU might be the culprit in your case, though I'm not fully sure. I never advice anyone getting a Gigabyte PSU though, at least on high-end Gaming PCs.

Hmmm... Okay, I'll try a 3rd power supply.
I had already ruled PSU out because the chances of both not working are pretty slim. But I've got a 650w Corsair lying around that I can put in.

Any other suggestions come to mind that I can try in the mean time?

It's tricky to troubleshoot this thing because of the sporadic timing of the shutdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.