lesstake

Reputable
Jun 1, 2018
Hi. I have been mining for almost 4 years, and recently i got some kind of error i dont understand. I bought some used GPUs,3 of them always hang right before creating dag buffer (which means there is no 'creating dag buffer' words on miner),i dont know whether the bios are still original though. I have had them tested on heaven benchmark and the qualities are still high. Any possible solution?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full mining rig specs.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

= = = =

Are you able take each GPU out of service one at a time to determine if one of the GPU's is defective?

Also what have you done or otherwise tried as a means to fix the problem?

I had to (full disclosure) lookup/google "dag buffer".

The first paragraph in the following link caught my attention:

"As some of you might already know, 3GB cards cannot mine Ethereum and Ethereum Classic, this is because of the increasing DAG size. The current DAG size is 3.49 GB for Ethereum and 3.58 GB for Ethereum Classic. This means that GPUs with 3 GB or less VRAM cannot mine it anymore. 3 GB GPUs were only able to mine Ethereum up to the 14th of May. "

Source:

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/dag-size-limit-problem-for-4gb-gpus

I found other similar links as well.

Take a look and do some additional googling with with respect to your build and the described problem(s).

Vary the search criteria as necessary to add focus and narrow down towards possible solutions.

lesstake

Reputable
Jun 1, 2018
Update your post to include full mining rig specs.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

= = = =

Are you able take each GPU out of service one at a time to determine if one of the GPU's is defective?

Also what have you done or otherwise tried as a means to fix the problem?

I had to (full disclosure) lookup/google "dag buffer".

The first paragraph in the following link caught my attention:

"As some of you might already know, 3GB cards cannot mine Ethereum and Ethereum Classic, this is because of the increasing DAG size. The current DAG size is 3.49 GB for Ethereum and 3.58 GB for Ethereum Classic. This means that GPUs with 3 GB or less VRAM cannot mine it anymore. 3 GB GPUs were only able to mine Ethereum up to the 14th of May. "

Source:

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/dag-size-limit-problem-for-4gb-gpus

I found other similar links as well.

Take a look and do some additional googling with with respect to your build and the described problem(s).

Vary the search criteria as necessary to add focus and narrow down towards possible solutions.

Thanks for your reply. I reinstall my os and get 1 of those gpus working. One is HIS sometimes make it unable to load windows,and the other is ASUS still stuck while dag buffering. My gpus are rx 580 8gb,so dag size is not a problem. I will list my complete specs tomorrow,i have to take a look first. But i doubt theres a problem with the specs. I really would like to know why its hanging while dag buffering. What makes it difficult to analyze is there is no error statment on miner log. The rig just freezes,sometimes BSOD appears. It just happens when i equip ASUS

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have access to Window's Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Look for errors etc. that occur when hangs occur.

Another option is to use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both, only just one at a time) to determine if you can find some some combination of things that lead to the hangs.

See what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

The objective being to identify some conditions or circumstance that occur when/while mining that lead to a hang.