Question GTX 1070 needs to warm up, crashes if temp is too low

Dec 22, 2020
About a year ago my laptop's GTX 1070 started to crash everytime I tried to load a game or app. I tried everything I could find online to get it working but to no avail. A few weeks ago I found that locking the voltage high with Afterburner would keep it from crashing, but I didn't know why. It wasn't until a few days ago that I realized it's because the high voltage makes the GPU warm up faster, and the GPU will only run if it's warm enough (about 60C). Now I lock the voltage to a high value (1000mV or more), wait for the GPU to get warm (takes a few minutes when idle), then undo the voltage lock and load a game before the temps drop. It's not an ideal solution but it works (as long as the temps stay above 60 or so).

My question is: why does the GPU need to get warm before running properly? Isn't cooler normally better? Is there any way to fix this, and if not, is it safe to be messing with the voltage every time I use my laptop?

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
This is a very peculiar situation. Never heard of anything like this…

Or, it sounds like those old xbox or ps3s where you could get them working again by applying a lot of heat i.e. an oven or heat gun.

apparently doing such a thing would either make some bad capacitors work again or melt the (presumably cracked) gpu solder balls just enough so they make contact again. Perhaps you may be experiencing the same situation, and a little baking in the oven would be the cure.

I may be terribly wrong here, take my words with a grain of salt and do research first before actually baking it! Maybe somebody more knowledgable could provide a better input.

TRENDING THREADS