boyanhristow

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm sure that there is a very detail thread somewhere around here regarding this topic however I couldn't personally find anything completely relevant to my case. So this goes out to all of the 1080 Ti owners.

I've recently upgraded from a 1060 6GB to a 1080 Ti Founders Edition second hand as I got it for a very good price. I've got a good case with decent air flow and an AIO for the CPU. As I started monitoring thermals, clocks and overall performance I immediately noticed that the card reached way higher clocks than the default advertised. I soon learned about Boost 3.0.

From what I could see the card clocks up to 1900+ when running cool then as temps rack up the card decreases clock speeds to 1600+ sometimes even 1400+ (worst case scenario as my room can get hot during the summer). This means that the card is well equipped to handle clocks of up to 2 GHz should it have the right cooling.

As the Founders is well known for being the hottest and loudest in direct comparison to the Aftermarket models reaching max stock temps between 83-85 C my question is will a reference card run at higher clocks throughout a gaming session? I'm not talking about factory clocks here but I'm sure you guys already know what I mean.

As the Founder starts clocking down after reaching temps of 75-80+ C will this mean that for example a Gigabyte Aorus that typically runs at around 71C will keep a fixed clock of 1900+ throughout the whole gaming session OR do Aftermarket models throttle thermally as much as Founders? In my head if I can sell the Founders back and get a aftermarket with good cooling i will be benefiting of 400-500 bonus MHz. Is my logic on the right track or does this work slightly different from what I imagine?

If any aftermarket 1080 Ti owners have been tracking their clocks please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Technically yes, if you can keep the temp down, you would see the benefit of those extra few mhz. But as you said it gets hot in your room, so even an aftermarket card may still run hotter. Are you noticing a difference when it throttles back to 1600?

Even if you sell your current card can you find a good aftermarket card, and not lose money? I wouldn't think it's worth it if you have to spend more than you already did.

Fyi reference is founders. That's the design of the pcb.

boyanhristow

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Technically yes, if you can keep the temp down, you would see the benefit of those extra few mhz. But as you said it gets hot in your room, so even an aftermarket card may still run hotter. Are you noticing a difference when it throttles back to 1600?

Even if you sell your current card can you find a good aftermarket card, and not lose money? I wouldn't think it's worth it if you have to spend more than you already did.

Fyi reference is founders. That's the design of the pcb.
Thanks for the response, noted and corrected.
In regards to your question, yes. I have noticed a difference between clocking at 1500-1600 and 1900+ and it’s bugging me that the cooler is restricting the true performance of the chip. My thought with this was if I decided to spend an extra 50€ and get an free market card would
It be able to keep a fixed boost of 1900-2000 or will they thermal throttle as well regardless of the fact that they are running 15-20° cooler?