[SOLVED] GTX 1660: Power Supply or Motherboard causing the problem?

survivalcraftfreak23

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
Hi all. I have a refurb GTX 1660 that I just got in the mail yesterday, but I'm having a few problems with it. I have an HP Pavillion HPE h8-1210, and I'm upgrading from a GTX 750ti.

Here's a step by step process of what it does:

Computer boots, shows bios screen

Hangs and does 3 short beeps when the splash screen shows (This is normal, it happened with my 750ti and it worked fine. Another thing is I had to get it just right so it hangs on the bios setup screen by pressing ESC at the right time in order for it to boot windows.)

Now, here's where things get weird. After 3 beeps, the screen turns completely black.
(My 750Ti did this but shortly after text appeared on the screen about the bios. After I hit enter it would resume as normal)

There are 2 more additional beeps to correspond with it, and then the screen goes to bios options. Another thing to note here is there is a horizontal blue line with a bunch of red pixels laying over it, taking about 1/32 of the screen. This disappears when I press enter.

I went down and pressed 'continue startup'. Windows boots, but then freezes. The bios then beeps 2 more times and there's about a 1/4 chance it'll actually go to the sign-in screen. If it doesn't, the screen stays black and all of my fans run on low (Which on startup my fans reach 100%).

If it does show the Windows sign-in screen, the resolution only shows 1/4 of the screen (the top left) scaled to my monitor. It still manages to work.

I tried to install a few drivers but that had the same result as what I said above with the sign-in screen not visible.

The constant black screens make me suspect that the power supply isn't giving enough power. But the motherboard had this problem before with my 750ti until I figured it out.

Here's what I've tried thus far:
Reseating the card
Swapping my 750ti back in (It still works as normal)

Here are my specs:

HP Pavillion HPE h8-1210
EVGA 450BT power supply
AMD FX-8350
14Gb DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
Stock HP fan/heatsink (The one that shipped with the PC)
1TB western digital HDD + 120GB Intel SSD

That's all I can think of. If anything else is needed, let me know.

Solution
It could, in theory, be the PSU. The BT is one of EVGA's poorer-quality models. Even if you did have motherboard issues and a replacement motherboard fixed it, I would still very strongly recommend getting a better (higher quality) power supply.

The first link in my signature offers an excellent guide. I consider it a must-read.

survivalcraftfreak23

Commendable
Feb 13, 2018
Edit: reset my BIOS settings and now it no longer beeps and doesn't go past the splash screen, even with my 750Ti and any other video card I have. I'm just thinking about calling it quits and save up for mobo-cpu combo. maybe then it'll work.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It could, in theory, be the PSU. The BT is one of EVGA's poorer-quality models. Even if you did have motherboard issues and a replacement motherboard fixed it, I would still very strongly recommend getting a better (higher quality) power supply.

The first link in my signature offers an excellent guide. I consider it a must-read.

Solution