[SOLVED] HDD clicking noise and no head parking

Chezzy

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
I have a Seagate ST3500312CS that can't be detected and making clicking noise. Since it's doesn't hold many important files, I tried open it up and fix it. The head was stuck near the middle motor and after watching a couple of videos and images of hard drive interior, the head should be parked in a slot outside the surface of the disk. But, there's no such thing in my hard drive. Is this normal for my model? Where should I move my head to?

Solution
No, CS drives park the heads on the inner track and they have no parking ramps.

BTW you can't fix it 'cause it's internal hardware error (it can't read the platters due to weak heads, preamp, etc.), and you just did worsen the scenario with the opened drive.

Take it to a reputable data recovery company (if the data worth it).

img

Prominent
Dec 27, 2020
No, CS drives park the heads on the inner track and they have no parking ramps.

BTW you can't fix it 'cause it's internal hardware error (it can't read the platters due to weak heads, preamp, etc.), and you just did worsen the scenario with the opened drive.

Take it to a reputable data recovery company (if the data worth it).

Last edited:
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I have a Seagate ST3500312CS that can't be detected and making clicking noise. Since it's doesn't hold many important files, I tried open it up and fix it. The head was stuck near the middle motor and after watching a couple of videos and images of hard drive interior, the head should be parked in a slot outside the surface of the disk. But, there's no such thing in my hard drive. Is this normal for my model? Where should I move my head to?
It was dead.
Then you opened it up.
Which merely put the nails in the coffin.