May 19, 2021
Hello,

I have a BIOSTAR S120L SSD 480gb in my computer. Today i bought SEAGATE Barracuda Guardian ST1000DM010 1TB HDD and i installed it in my computer normally as every HDD, connected the SATA3 with the motherboard and Power Supply with the HDD. But when i boot up my computer i am stuck on the MOTHERBOARD'S boot up screen with hotkeys (like press F9 to get in the BIOS, etc...) and in the right down corner it would say A2. But when i got out the HDD from the computer and let it boot from SSD as normal and it would say 99 instead of A2, and boots the system normally. And also to mention that first time i booted computer after installing HDD in it i was able to get in BIOS and all but when i restarted screen is frozen i can't do anything. So my question is did i did something wrong installing HDD and should try again or HDD is broken (which i purely doubt) or i need to do something with the BIOS?

Motherboard: BIOSTAR B450MH
Power Supply: idk the exact model but i know its 600W
BIOS Mode: Legacy
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 5.14, 02.01.2021

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May 19, 2021
Code A2 is an IDE detect error code.

Did you select the appropriate boot order and drive in the motherboard BIOS when you added the Seagate ? Did you option AHCI or IDE for the Seagate drive ?

When i was in bios the proper boot order was on my SSD, which where is system installed. I didn't saw if the HDD was on AHCI or IDE because when i restarted i was stuck on the boot up screen and couldn't proceed to BIOS like the screen is freezed.

May 19, 2021
It sounds like a bios issue, but I would also try a different sata cable. I would also try disconnecting the ssd and see what happens. You should get something that says there's no valid boot drive or something to that effect.

When i disconnet ssd it just says there is no valid boot drive. I'll try with the different SATA cable. Do you have any suggestions to change in the BIOS that may affect fixing this issue?

May 19, 2021
Good, that's what it should say. That means it's not getting stuck in the bios. I would maybe swap the ports that the ssd and hdd are on. Or use other ports if they're available.
If you can get into the BIOS set the option for AHCI instead of IDE.
I am able to use my computer with the HDD but there is a problem it took my computer to boot up twice longer than without HDD. My computer usually boots up in 30 seconds now it was like 5 minutes. I was able to get in the Proper boot menu, but when i clicked F9 to get into the menu i was waiting about 3 minutes, and i was not able to do anything unless to chose SSD or Enter Setup option to boot the system but A2 error was still there. Now it says Unknown Device in device manager. How to fix this? Or my computer is totally broken. I also have another Power Supply port for the HDD, should i try that?

It sounds like something is either incompatible between your drive and your system, or the drive is defective.

I would boot a parted magic live cd, disconnect your ssd, and boot only with your hdd and run the short and long smart test on it. If they don't pass, it's the drive.

May 19, 2021
It sounds like something is either incompatible between your drive and your system, or the drive is defective.

I would boot a parted magic live cd, disconnect your ssd, and boot only with your hdd and run the short and long smart test on it. If they don't pass, it's the drive.
I contacted the shop they told me to do this and other things mentioned earlier, but unfortunately it still didn't fix the problem. I will return the HDD and replace it with the new (hope working) one.