[SOLVED] Heat issue - - My Gigabyte GTX 950 fan doesn’t work more than 67% ?

aqua_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
I've bought a GIGABYTE GV-N950WF2OC-2GD Graphics Card 2 years ago.
Back then, I don't remember if I had any problem with its cooling system or the GPU temp. But now it heats up to 78 C GPU and 87 C for hot spot (reported by GPU-Z) when playing games. It heats that much even in medium-light games like Fifa 18.
According to GPU-Z, I found that its fan does not work more than 67% of its capability even on maximum of gpu workload. Also, I can hear a slight noise when fans working at high speed.

Specs:
*Windows 10 64bit (latest updates installed)
CPU: Core i7 3770k + Thermalright Smart Spirit Air cooling
VGA: GIGABYTE GTX 950 2GB (GV-N950WF2OC-2GD) *Latest Nvidia driver is installed.
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
PSU: 700W High Performance
Storage: Crucial MX500 256GB SSD + Western Blue 1TB HDD

What should I do to fix that?
Is that a fan failure or could it be caused by driver, bios, chassis air flow, psu or etc?

Fifa 18:
Fifa-18-2022-09-23.gif

Another Game:
2.gif

Solution
Use GPU-Z to save your present vBIOS to a file. Open it with MaxwellBiosTweaker.exe and you will see what the programmed minimum and maximum fan speeds are. It may well be that Gigabyte capped it at 67% because any more was not needed at stock speeds, or that it can go higher if the temperature actually ever gets hot.

I've had cards that idled at higher than that, like the HD4870 which was set from the factory to idle at 80C (HD4850 with single-slot cooler was even hotter), so 79C under load sounds stone cold to me.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
The problem could be bad bearings in the fans.

also could be a thermal paste issue.

i doubt its anything driver, bios or software related.

can i get the specific case and psu model?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I've bought a GIGABYTE GV-N950WF2OC-2GD Graphics Card 2 years ago.
Back then, I don't remember if I had any problem with its cooling system or the GPU temp. But now it heats up to 78 C GPU and 87 C for hot spot (reported by GPU-Z) when playing games. It heats that much even in medium-light games like Fifa 18.
According to GPU-Z, I found that its fan does not work more than 67% of its capability even on maximum of gpu workload. Also, I can hear a slight noise when fans working at high speed.

Specs:
*Windows 10 64bit (latest updates installed)
CPU: Core i7 3770k + Thermalright Smart Spirit Air cooling
VGA: GIGABYTE GTX 950 2GB (GV-N950WF2OC-2GD) *Latest Nvidia driver is installed.
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4GB x2
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
PSU: 700W High Performance
Storage: Crucial MX500 256GB SSD + Western Blue 1TB HDD

What should I do to fix that?
Is that a fan failure or could it be caused by driver, bios, chassis air flow, psu or etc?

Fifa 18:
Fifa-18-2022-09-23.gif

Another Game:
2.gif
Looks like normal operation to me.
The fans are only going to spin fast enough to keep the card cool. Your only at 77C if you wish for them to run faster than needed use MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve.

Reactions: aqua_q

aqua_q

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Looks like normal operation to me.
The fans are only going to spin fast enough to keep the card cool. Your only at 77C if you wish for them to run faster than needed use MSI afterburner and set a custom fan curve.
You are right. I've installed Gigabyte OC Guru and changed the fan setting to manual. There I found that I can set a specific fan speed for every range of temperature. I did that and it worked. As you said, my current speed fan is according to the current temperature and goes up if the temperature increases; but I didn't know that because my GPU's temperature has never increased more than 79. but what about the hot spot? What does it indicate?

Use GPU-Z to save your present vBIOS to a file. Open it with MaxwellBiosTweaker.exe and you will see what the programmed minimum and maximum fan speeds are. It may well be that Gigabyte capped it at 67% because any more was not needed at stock speeds, or that it can go higher if the temperature actually ever gets hot.

I've had cards that idled at higher than that, like the HD4870 which was set from the factory to idle at 80C (HD4850 with single-slot cooler was even hotter), so 79C under load sounds stone cold to me.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You are right. I've installed Gigabyte OC Guru and changed the fan setting to manual. There I found that I can set a specific fan speed for every range of temperature. I did that and it worked. As you said, my current speed fan is according to the current temperature and goes up if the temperature increases; but I didn't know that because my GPU's temperature has never increased more than 79. but what about the hot spot? What does it indicate?
The hot spot is usually the memory nothing to be worried about.