Question Hello beautiful people I have a total of 3 questions in this one forum. You can answer one or all the questions; any answer is greatly appreciated.

Varzoh

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
I am planning on buying these components listed here. This PC is being built for adobe creative cloud editing in 4k, occasional cinema 4d, lots of intense stress of pc gaming, etc.

First Question: Motherboard
The motherboard I planned on getting was a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, what motherboard alternative do you think I should get?

The Corsair iCUE 5000x Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C and USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A. (NOTE FROM PCPARTPICKER :Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port, but the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port will not be usable.) I need a motherboard that doesn’t have this problem

Things I need on a motherboard: 6+ USB ports, bios flashback button, fast ethernet passthrough (wifi would be an awesome add-on but not 100% needed), m.2 availability, heatsink for m.2 is just a plus, good bios, and simply I want a premium motherboard.

Second Question: Power Supply
I am unsure which power supply to get between these two: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply and be quiet! Straight Power 11 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply. I vaguely understand the differences between Gold and Platinum Certified but personally don’t mind spending a few extra dollars per year on electricity bill so that doesn’t concern me. I want to know what is the best PSU between these two and your reasoning why?

Third Question: CPU Cooler
I want to preface that I understand the Liquid vs Air CPU Cooler debate but I personally prefer Air Coolers. I either want Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler or be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler, which of the two do you think I should get and why?

Thank you for taking time to read this!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What are your requirements?

Overall, any answers have a dependency on how the computer is to be used.

For example:

Most software applications of any sort provide some listing of hardware requirements in the form of "minimal" , "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

What trade-offs, if any, are you willing to make?

What is your absolute budget? In other words - you do not want to and will not spend more.

Varzoh

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
What are your requirements?

Overall, any answers have a dependency on how the computer is to be used.

For example:

Most software applications of any sort provide some listing of hardware requirements in the form of "minimal" , "recommended", and "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

What trade-offs, if any, are you willing to make?

What is your absolute budget? In other words - you do not want to and will not spend more.
I'm not sure how to answer your question on what my requirements are but I want this PC to last at a minimum of 5 years. I need it to handle stressful tasks. I will not be using it to mine or anything crazy but many adobe products for editing and creating. I want to be able to stream and play games as well. I have a Acer Predator XB271HU Abmirprz 27-inch WQHD (2560x1440) NVIDIA G-SYNC Monitor. So I want to be able to run all games at 1440p max settings with around 120fps. Not to sure what you mean by trade-offs but I'd say none. The parts I have in my build currently I'm more then happy with but just the questions I have listed above is my main concern. My absolute budget is unknown as I'm willing to spend 3,000+ on this build. I have done all proper research for majority of my parts. But am looking for an outsiders opinion as you guys are awesome at what you do!

Ralston18

Titan
You have the advantage of a budget that allows you to purchase high end products. And plan for future growth.

As a "whole" the computer may last 5 years. However I would not expect any particular component to last that long.

Generically, the PSU being the most likely to falter or fail depending on both the designed in EOL (End of Life) and actual use. Fans/coolers likely next on the list.... GPUs thereafter.

How the system is assembled matters - air flows for cooling as an example. No matter how many fans are installed or how big the fans are if they are not working together the system will run hotter. Heat is an enemy of electronics. Expansion and contraction will eventually cause problems.

You also need to keep the case clean of dust and debris. Inside and out.

If your area is subject to electrical problems, storms etc. budget for a UPS/surge protector. Surge protection will help protect the computer to some extent and preserve some lifetime.

Still any given component could catastrophically fail at any given time.

Therefore, as always, backup. At least 2 x copies to locations off of and away from the computer. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Reactions: Varzoh
Hello Varzoh. Although I'm not offering answers to your direct questions, I did have a few suggestions. And although I don't have editing experience, I also wanted to share the Puget Systems hardware recommendations with you as well (below). I highly recommend that you read them.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...obe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Recommendations
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...be-After-Effects-144/Hardware-Recommendations

1. RAM: Depending on which Adobe applications, you may want to at least consider upgrading from 32 to 64GB of RAM.

2. SSD: Samsung 870 Evo 2TB is a great SATA drive, but for $30 USD cheaper, I'd personally opt for the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB. While the 870 Evo has 530 MB/s write to both the SLC cache and TLC nand, the 970 Evo Plus has 1750 MB/s write to the TLC nand, if you ever happened to exceed the SLC cache. Plus having two M.2 drives is functioning simpler and aestically neater than one M.2 and one 2.5" drives.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16480/the-samsung-870-evo-ssd-1tb-4tb-review

3. CPU: On January 4th, AMD will announce their new products, including Zen 3+. The annoucement for the Ryzen 9 5900X refresh with 3D v-cache (tripling of the L3 cache) is planned. Since this is four days away, I would think that it's worth waiting until than. All the tech review channels on YouTube will surely be covering it.

https://ir.amd.com/news-events/pres...o-host-2022-product-premiere-livestream-event

Reactions: Varzoh

Varzoh

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Hello Varzoh. Although I'm not offering answers to your direct questions, I did have a few suggestions. And although I don't have editing experience, I also wanted to share the Puget Systems hardware recommendations with you as well (below). I highly recommend that you read them.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...obe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Recommendations
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...be-After-Effects-144/Hardware-Recommendations

1. RAM: Depending on which Adobe applications, you may want to at least consider upgrading from 32 to 64GB of RAM.

2. SSD: Samsung 870 Evo 2TB is a great SATA drive, but for $30 USD cheaper, I'd personally opt for the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB. While the 870 Evo has 530 MB/s write to both the SLC cache and TLC nand, the 970 Evo Plus has 1750 MB/s write to the TLC nand, if you ever happened to exceed the SLC cache. Plus having two M.2 drives is functioning simpler and aestically neater than one M.2 and one 2.5" drives.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16480/the-samsung-870-evo-ssd-1tb-4tb-review

3. CPU: On January 4th, AMD will announce their new products, including Zen 3+. The annoucement for the Ryzen 9 5900X refresh with 3D v-cache (tripling of the L3 cache) is planned. Since this is four days away, I would think that it's worth waiting until than. All the tech review channels on YouTube will surely be covering it.

https://ir.amd.com/news-events/pres...o-host-2022-product-premiere-livestream-event
Thanks for sharing the pugetsystems.com I never knew about that website and was looking further. They sell some beefy workhorse computers but the prices on their is crazy lol a bit over priced from what I'm seeing but that's to be expected for prebuilt computers. For ram I'm starting with 32gb and if later down the road I need more I'll buy another 32gb kit. Good call on the SSD a friend was also letting me know about it but the reason I had the SATA SSD selected was because I'm not 100% sure if I still want the 2tb SATA SSD or a 4tb SATA SSD. I have a little while to decide because I'm planning the build but waiting to buy all the parts until I get an RTX 3080, 3080TI, or 3090. I know it's a while wait but I've been in a few premium paid discords to raise my chances in being able to snag the GPU. By any chance though do you know any other information in getting the RTX cards I listed earlier? It's rough out here. I will trigger buy all pc parts when I get the RTX :D. Appreciate the info on the CPU I didn't even know about that! Thanks for timing time again to read this and respond.

Dec 11, 2021
I am planning on buying these components listed here. This PC is being built for adobe creative cloud editing in 4k, occasional cinema 4d, lots of intense stress of pc gaming, etc.

First Question: Motherboard
The motherboard I planned on getting was a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, what motherboard alternative do you think I should get?

The Corsair iCUE 5000x Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C and USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A. (NOTE FROM PCPARTPICKER :Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port, but the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port will not be usable.) I need a motherboard that doesn’t have this problem

Things I need on a motherboard: 6+ USB ports, bios flashback button, fast ethernet passthrough (wifi would be an awesome add-on but not 100% needed), m.2 availability, heatsink for m.2 is just a plus, good bios, and simply I want a premium motherboard.

Second Question: Power Supply
I am unsure which power supply to get between these two: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply and be quiet! Straight Power 11 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply. I vaguely understand the differences between Gold and Platinum Certified but personally don’t mind spending a few extra dollars per year on electricity bill so that doesn’t concern me. I want to know what is the best PSU between these two and your reasoning why?

Third Question: CPU Cooler
I want to preface that I understand the Liquid vs Air CPU Cooler debate but I personally prefer Air Coolers. I either want Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler or be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler, which of the two do you think I should get and why?

Thank you for taking time to read this!
Just get the Asrock FATAL1TY b450 itx Motherboard and start from there