Choose a laptop

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2020
1. What is your budget?
The upper limit is 1400 euros.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6' display

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p maybe 1440p in the future. I probably wont go for 4k.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It will be mostly sitting in my room, but I want the option to just unplug and go out with it whenever I need. I dont want to spend on a gaming pc and a cheaper laptop at the same time.

5. How much battery life do you need?
The more the better, but its not that big of an issue

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Mainly wow, diablo 4 on high setting, and maybe some other newer games when I feel like. The main focus is the longevity of it. I need one that will be performing well after 3-4 years too.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
General use, maybe work if it comes to it(I have a corporate laptop for that, but it would be great to have the option to be able to work on my personal laptop too). Im a software developer, so ram and cpu are the parts I would utilize the most

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
min 512 GB but 1TB would be nice. Considering that if needs be I can add another ssd the 512 would be enough for now.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as I can, so the best hardware for reasonable price and thermals are the prioriy

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I dont need any

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
HP, Lenovo. I was looking into the Lenovo Legion 5 and HP Omen 15 2020.

13. What country do you live in?
Slovak republic

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
As I mentioned earlier I was looking into the Lenovo Legion 5 and HP Omen 15 2020. These two laptops caught my eyes because of the affordable price and good thermals.

Lenovo Legion 5
Lenovo Legion 5Pi
HP Omen 15
Ryzen 5 4600Hi7 10750hRyze 7 4800h
RTX 2060RTX 2060RTX 2060
16GB RAM 3200Mhz32 GB RAM 2933 Mhz16GB RAM 3200Mhz
1 TB SSD1 TB SSD512 GB SSD
80 Wh battery60 Wh battery71 Wh battery
144 Hz 300 nits144 Hz 300 nits144 Hz 300 nits
1080 EUR (1200 before discount) - 1190 EUR1322 EUR (1469 before discount)1370 EUR

These are the three main contenders. I could get the Lenovo Legion 5Pi with a 10 % discount now. The Legion 5 has a discount too but it seems its out of stock, so I dont know if I could manage to get it for the lower price. The HP Omen 15 should arrive in the first half of November.
I would rather go with the a Ryzen cpu because of the lower price, better performance and better power management, but Im worried about system stability, compatibility and overall driver/BIOS problems with Ryzen. If I get it correctly the Intel cpus tend to be more stable and reliable.
If I would go with Ryzen, is it worth going for the 4800 over the 4600 considering the 2 extra cores and higher boost clock speed, but for higher price?
What about the build quality and thermals between these models?
What are yur thought and opinions about these models? Which one would you pick?

I would be glad to hear of other manufacturers/models with similiar config, price and build quality.

I added a poll for the mentioned models.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffroberts1
Sep 9, 2020
Read laptop reviews to get a clearer picture of what you want to buy. I wouldn't worry about stability though because laptops come pre-configured. The OEM's test them and are 99% sure of their stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.