[SOLVED] Help me understanding Port Forwarding

runis

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
I need help understanding what i'm doing. I just wanted to port forward Black Ops 3 PS4 but I couldn't figure out what to do when online tutorials would mention port fowarding the PS4 itself and also giving the PS4 a Static IP which has been confusing me if any of this is related or even needed to port forward my game. I keep getting confusing information and I have no Idea what i'm doing and just need answers to what I thought were basic stupid questions but found no answers online.

Whats External Host, what do I need to understand that would help me figure out what I should type in. Whats Internal host, same question what do I need to understand that would help me figure out what I should type in? Same thing for External Port and Internal Port? Another thing, sites like portforward com they give me a list of ports but I don't understand if those ports are used for both External and Internal ports, if they shouldn't use the same port and if there are specific numbers of the list provided that must be used over the others? Also is the list provided just giving me options or is it needed to use all ports listed? Also TCP and UDP, does it matter which is used?

Solution
to start with the basics here is what you are doing. your router splits your internet access to all the devices that connect to it. such as pc/laptops, phones, gaming systems, smart tv's and so on. when one device sends out a request for a webpage, video stream or whatever the router needs a way to know who to send the data back to when it comes in. this is what the ip address is used for. every device gets a random ip address within a range from the router so it knows who is who and where to send data.

so let's narrow it down some. your specific computer has an ip address, ok. but it is likely requesting data from multiple sources at once. web browser, steam game, netflix, messging app and so on. the router knows the ip address the...

runis

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
your PS4 has an IP address, that is the "static IP" { you apply the routing to)

but to answer all your questions go visit https://portforward.com/ this should help you a great d4eal, it did for me.

This is the website I have been following but I have no idea if anything is ever working. How do I test these things to know I did it properly and also the thing about the ports, do I use the same port for example 3480 on both external and internal port? Do I use multiple ports from the list they provide or just 1?

I JUST WANT seems not so simple after all.

Am a little surprised there is no more support from the gamer community, or from the game vendors themselves. Have you posted on the many gaming forums? This particular forum, we are good enough to steer you, but most of the work is still on you to figure things out.

Have u scanned uTube? uTube is like a huge video library for DIY'ers.

I am not so sure why this is so difficult for gamers. Home automations, lights, thermostat, the gadgets that allows users to remotely control their home devices have some of this to setup but I don't see them coming asking questions.

runis

Honorable
Apr 30, 2018
I JUST WANT seems not so simple after all.

Am a little surprised there is no more support from the gamer community, or from the game vendors themselves. Have you posted on the many gaming forums? This particular forum, we are good enough to steer you, but most of the work is still on you to figure things out.

Have u scanned uTube? uTube is like a huge video library for DIY'ers.

I am not so sure why this is so difficult for gamers. Home automations, lights, thermostat, the gadgets that allows users to remotely control their home devices have some of this to setup but I don't see them coming asking questions.

Yes of course I looked all over youtube, I have been for a good 8-9 years back when Minecraft started its popularity. I always tried to port forward but on my first try I give up because nothing works then ill try again with the same experience of giving up right away every 6 months. I also posted on other sites and they didn't know much on how to help. Now I've become dedicated on figuring out the answers and I have just not from much help from other people.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
to start with the basics here is what you are doing. your router splits your internet access to all the devices that connect to it. such as pc/laptops, phones, gaming systems, smart tv's and so on. when one device sends out a request for a webpage, video stream or whatever the router needs a way to know who to send the data back to when it comes in. this is what the ip address is used for. every device gets a random ip address within a range from the router so it knows who is who and where to send data.

so let's narrow it down some. your specific computer has an ip address, ok. but it is likely requesting data from multiple sources at once. web browser, steam game, netflix, messging app and so on. the router knows the ip address the data goes to but not the program that needs the data. this is where ports come in. a "port" is simply a way for the router (and pc for that matter) to keep straight what program requested what.

normally port numbers are generated on the fly and then are discarded and a new one generated for the next data request. this does not work for things like games which will send data over and over and does not have the time to mess with new random port numbers every few seconds.

so this is what port forwarding is. you set a port number for the game (or game system in general) that all traffic will use to that system everytime. but your ip address is changing everytime is connects as well. so you also have to set a "static" ip address for the device which also does not change. now the router does not need to update all the time and it knows your ps4 is ALWAYS a specific ip address and uses the same port number over and over again for all it's traffic.

a "host" is simply the device in use. so your pc is the internal host and the game server on the other end is the external host you're trying to connect to. a quick google search shows how to configure the ps4 with a static ip and what port it likes to use.

this page breaks it down pretty well how to set static ip on ps4, where to look for numbers and so on. the very bottom step 6 lists the ports to add to the forwarding table. put ALL of them in there under the right heading. udp or tcp. each port number is for different traffic the ps4 uses and are all needed to be forwarded.

Reactions: The Paladin
Solution