Lenny Confetti

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
this is a really annoying problem that i've had for about a week now basically my computer freezes for 2-10 seconds at a time whenever it feels like. it usually does it once or twice every couple of minutes. as you can imagine this is extremely painful when playing games. i've discovered that it only affects my steam games as i know so far, so things like GMOD, Dead by Daylight and GTA 4 are affected. when i play a game from another launcher i have no problem for example apex legends i don't get a single freeze and that is a lot harder to run than GMOD lmao. i also get these freezes on my desktop so when im watching youtube or going through settings to try and fix this problem lol. i've tried setting my power plan to active and adding that setting in there to set it to active. my SSD drivers are completely up to date. i've tried moving my games from my hard drive (D: ) to my SSD (C: ) and i still had the problem but apex legends which i get no problems on is on my hard drive (D: ) and i get no problems even though that's where my games are which do freeze.

Specs:
- Operating System:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
Skylake 14nm Technology
- Motherboard
MSI Z170A SLI (MS-7998) (U3E1)
- GPU
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)
- Storage
223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G (SATA-2 (SSD))
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 (SATA )
931GB Seagate Expansion SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )

also i recorded task manager with OBS during the freeze and it shows that when i'm playing the game the GPU usage goes down to 0% during the freeze idk if that's just because there's nothing to render or if it's causing the problem.

also i fresh reinstalled windows and the problem is still happening so i'm lost with what to do now. any help is appreciated i'd rather not end up buying a whole new $1500 pc over this.

Solution
The B600 is a mediocre PSU. That unit was designed for a general use/home/office PC and not for a gaming system. You have to test your PC with another "better" PSU. It's the only way to determine if the PSU is responsible for this issue. Keep in mind that when a PC system starts developing stability issues, the PSU is the number one suspect and that's where you should turn your attention to. Other less likely suspects are the SSD and the HDDs. You have to test each one of them. Download Crystal Disk info and check their smart status. Also check them for errors in windows. Good luck.

Lenny Confetti

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Check the CPU/GPU temps during those freezes. Also the VRAM amount of the GTX 1070 is wrong. That GPU should have twice the VRAM amount (8GB). Download GPU-Z and check the GPU specs.
https://prnt.sc/my3zpm there's a link to what it says on GPU-Z yeah i was wrong i'm pretty sure

i checked the temps during the freezes
CPU =55 - 60 (stays about the same)
GPU = 74 (down from 82)

i don't know if the freeze affected the temps that much but any help is much appreciated both freezes were longer than average this time i haven't tested it but they might get longer and more often the longer the pc has been on for.

Lenny Confetti

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
I initially suspected that your power supply wasn't enough. It seems that you can try the system again. Reinstall the system
It is your CPU / GPU load problem.
i kind of want to leave the fresh reinstall as a last resort since i've already done that once for this problem and it didn't fix it but thanks for the help anyway mate :)

The B600 is a mediocre PSU. That unit was designed for a general use/home/office PC and not for a gaming system. You have to test your PC with another "better" PSU. It's the only way to determine if the PSU is responsible for this issue. Keep in mind that when a PC system starts developing stability issues, the PSU is the number one suspect and that's where you should turn your attention to. Other less likely suspects are the SSD and the HDDs. You have to test each one of them. Download Crystal Disk info and check their smart status. Also check them for errors in windows. Good luck.

Solution

Lenny Confetti

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
hey mate thank you so much for all the help i really appreciate it i downloaded something to check my drivers and i ended up having 14 not up to date so since i've updated them all now the problem has seemed to gone away for now atleast but thanks for the advice about the PSU i'll definately start saving up to try get a better one in the future same for my SSD since it's life is at something like 34%.
but once again thanks for all the help and advice it really did help me sort this problem out. :)

Yes an old driver can certainly cause freezes but windows 10 usually automatically finds and installs necessary drivers so it's strange. Also the GPU driver is the most important one and you have to manually update it frequently in order for the GPU to be able to reach its max available performance in newer games. Other than that I don't think that there is another driver that should concern you. Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS