Question HELP! PC stuck in reset loop after CPU upgrade... shouldn't DG33BU be compatible with Q9550/Q9650?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baladaum

Commendable
Oct 25, 2020
Hey there, so I have a DG33BU motherboard and I've been trying to run a Q9550 on it, but it always end up resetting at the Windows startup. I've tried everything, isn't this CPU supposed to be compatible with my motherboard? I've seen many people on the internet claiming to use this motherboard with this CPU without any issues, (even with it's "superior brother", the Q9650)... I've came across some threads that mention some people having issues, and some people being able to successfully use this CPU on this mobo. I feel like I tried everything and nothing seems to work. Can anyone help? Many regards!

So far the things I tried: updating BIOS to latest version (0572), I've also tried to downgrade to 0484 (didn't work either, same reset loop problem), tried to change SATA from IDE to AHCI, tried with different video cards (9800GTX+ and 430GT - and even without video card, using onboard graphics), tried booting from a Windows Boot USB.

I've tried different PSUs too, a 750W Corsair and another with 500W.

Oh, I'm not overcloking, this mobo doesn't even support OC.

The only thing that I didn't try yet is changing the RAM modules to some other type. I have two pairs of Crucial CT25564AA800 (6-6-6-18 800MHz 8Gb total).

I manage to go as far as the BIOS config, but as soon as the computer tried to load windows, it resets. HEEEELP! I can't be stuck with that stinky E6750 original CPU, too slow...

Last edited:
Hey there, so I have a DG33BU motherboard and I've been trying to run a Q9550 on it, but it always end up resetting at the Windows startup. I've tried everything, isn't this CPU supposed to be compatible with my motherboard? I've seen many people on the internet claiming to use this motherboard with this CPU without any issues, (even with it's "superior brother", the Q9650)... I've came across some threads that mention some people having issues, and some people being able to successfully use this CPU on this mobo. I feel like I tried everything and nothing seems to work. Can anyone help? Many regards!

So far the things I tried: updating BIOS to latest version (0572), I've also tried to downgrade to 0484 (didn't work either, same reset loop problem), tried to change SATA from IDE to AHCI, tried with different video cards (9800GTX+ and 430GT - and even without video card, using onboard graphics), tried booting from a Windows Boot USB.

I've tried different PSUs too, a 750W Corsair and another with 500W.

Oh, I'm not overcloking, this mobo doesn't even support OC.

The only thing that I didn't try yet is changing the RAM modules to some other type. I have two pairs of Crucial CT25564AA800 (6-6-6-18 800MHz 8Gb total).

I manage to go as far as the BIOS config, but as soon as the computer tried to load windows, it resets. HEEEELP! I can't be stuck with that stinky E6750 original CPU, too slow...
Did you pull the bios battery off the mobo to clear the old cpu history, well psu is unplugged pull mobo battery, hold the power button on the case for 30s x2 times. It's probably fighting the old cpu info. If that dosnt help hit the reply button for faster responses

Reactions: Baladaum

Baladaum

Commendable
Oct 25, 2020
Did you pull the bios battery off the mobo to clear the old cpu history, well psu is unplugged pull mobo battery, hold the power button on the case for 30s x2 times. It's probably fighting the old cpu info. If that dosnt help hit the reply button for faster responses

Thanks for the response! I have already tried that, and unfortunately there was no difference, it still resets as soon as it gets to the Windows startup.

Baladaum

Commendable
Oct 25, 2020
Thanks, I will try that, but shouldn't a Windows Installation USB work for booting too if the Windows installation is faulty? In my case it keeps loading the usb for some time and then it resets.

Thanks, I will try that, but shouldn't a Windows Installation USB work for booting too if the Windows installation is faulty? In my case it keeps loading the usb for some time and then it resets.
Yes but windows dosnt let you use the desktop and everything before install linux will allow you to use the pc till your ready to do a full install or just try it out if linux works and lets you use it's desktop and everything and actually boots in the windows 10 may need to be repaired, or reinstalled. It may have been currupted somehow

Reactions: Baladaum

Baladaum

Commendable
Oct 25, 2020
Yes but windows dosnt let you use the desktop and everything before install linux will allow you to use the pc till your ready to do a full install or just try it out if linux works and lets you use it's desktop and everything and actually boots in the windows 10 may need to be repaired, or reinstalled. It may have been currupted somehow
Hey there! So I've been able to install W7 and Linux but not
Okay!!

So I've managed to install W7 and Linux (Ubuntu), but NOT W10!

Whenever I try to install W10, it gives me this "CompareExchange128" error, related to incompatible processor.

But here is the problem: this Q9550 processor was installed in another PC with W10 (I had no problem installing it), the only difference is that the other pc has a different motherboard: Asus P5Q-E.

It seems that Windows 10 just refuses to install in the DG33BU + Q9550 combo.

Is there a way around this? I really don't want to be stuck with W7 or Linux

Last edited:

Baladaum

Commendable
Oct 25, 2020
I would boot a linux live cd like the ultimate boot cd or parted magic and run some cpu test to confirm there's nothing wrong with the processor. If you bought this processor 'new' then that's probably the issue as it's a fake.
Hello SamirD,

The CPU I bought (Q9550) was pretty old, used.

I was using this Q9550 with no issues in another motherboard (Asus P5Q-E), it was running W10 64-bits perfectly fine.

It was only when I changed motherboards that this issue started (From that Asus P5Q-E to an Intel DG33BU), both computers ran W10, and now that this DG33BU has the Q9550 installed, it refuses to install W10. (I had W10 64-bit running fine when the DG33BU had its original processor, an E6750)

What tests do you figure I should run? I'm currently running W7 and I can also run Ubuntu from USB.

Baladaum

Commendable
Oct 25, 2020
What I'm trying to say is:

mobo Intel DG33BU + cpu E6750 = W10 x64 runs just fine
mobo Asus P5Q-E + CPU Q9550 = W10 x64 runs just fine
mobo Intel DG33BU + CPU Q9550 = W10 x64 DOES NOT run

so I'm in quite a weird problem, it feels like this mobo + cpu combo is incompatible, rather than a single component alone being incompatible... any thoughts?

so I'm in quite a weird problem, it feels like this mobo + cpu combo is incompatible, rather than a single component alone being incompatible... any thoughts?
And your bios is fully up to date?

It does sound like that--or with that particular q9550.

Status
Not open for further replies.