Question Help! Persistent crashes on my MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio. Any ideas?

thelynx

Honorable
Jun 18, 2015
Hi, I've had my RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio for about one year now, and this is the first time I've had any serious issues. The issues first started when Modern Warfare had a fatal DirectX crash, when I tried to relaunch, as soon as anything had to be rendered and the GPU core clock increased, the game crashed. This same issue happened with all my other games, including GPU only benchmarks.

These are the steps I have tried in order to mitigate the issue:

• Full reinstall of Modern Warfare.
  • Rollback of drivers.
  • Rollback of recent Windows Updates.
  • Full wipe of all graphics drivers and reinstall (x2).
  • Full format of Windows drive and reinstall of Windows.
  • Swap single split 8 + 8 pin PCI-e cable for two separate 8 pin cables.

The only step that seems to allow the card to work for some time without failing is to severely underclock the card (-250mhz core clock and -250mhz memory clock). Obviously, this severely hinders performance and is not a long term solution.

Even with this underclock, games crash after a couple hours of gaming.

I'm wondering if this is simply a defective and failing card, or is it a PSU issue? My money would be on it being a GPU issue at the moment.

My PSU is 650 watts which may be on the lower end in terms of power for my specs although I think it should be enough with some headroom.

PC Specs:

i7-9700k (Stock/Auto)
16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance
500GB 970 Evo + 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio (Never overclocked)
PSU: Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold

Thanks in advance.

May 9, 2020
Hi !
I have the exact same issue with my MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio.
Everything worked fine, then there was a new nvidia driver (don't remember the version nr.) to download via GeForce Experience. Suddenly I got the Dirext X "Dev Error 6068" in Warzone. So I thougt it's just a problem with CoD but now every game is randomly crashing (Video freeze, you can still hear the sound for some seconds and then back to desktop without error message). Before I got this "Dev Error" I could play without any problems, now nothing works.

I also reinstalled windows, all the drivers and the games but there is still the same issue.

I discovered that whenever the GPU load goes to 100% the game freezes and after a few seconds I am back at Desktop without any error message (in COD I got the "dev error 6068"). The only way I can play is to set the power limit to 80% (MSI Afterburner).

I already ordered a new PSU (beQuiet straight power 11 Platinum 850W) - because I read it could be the PSU..

Any ideas ?

PC Specs:

i7-7700k (4.7 GHz OC)
16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance - XMP enabled
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio
PSU: Corsair RM750x 80 plus Gold

May 9, 2020
Update: I changed the PSU to a beQuiet straight power 11 Gold 1000W
Same error as before.. so it must be the 2080ti... that's bad because I bought a used one (ran perfect for the first 2 months) and there's no more guarantee left. So I'll use it on 80% Power target to be able to play with it and hope that it won't get worse.

TRENDING THREADS