Nov 23, 2018
Hello,

I've recently been having some trouble with high ping while trying to play games. Whenever I join a game server (ex. quick play in overwatch or siege) I usually get kicked due to connection issues, and if I am in a game, I have unplayable ping/lag (over 100ms). I don't think the issue is with my internet, because I can get consistently 100+ mb download and 10+ upload on speedtest. My ping in speedtest is 9. When checking task manager, I seem to have a few apps running in the background using network. The apps are usually random, and switch quickly. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I am using a USB wifi adapter.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to list the background apps using the network.

Look at the Resource Monitor - that may also help identify some app grabbing network resources.

You can click the column headers to sort and make it a bit easier to observe what is happening if things keep "switching".

Look for the small upward and downward pointing "arrowhead" marks.

Nov 23, 2018
Update your post to list the background apps using the network.

Look at the Resource Monitor - that may also help identify some app grabbing network resources.

You can click the column headers to sort and make it a bit easier to observe what is happening if things keep "switching".

Look for the small upward and downward pointing "arrowhead" marks.
I'm seeing a lot of activity from something that called svchost.exe, any idea what that is and why it's causing the issue?

Ralston18

Titan
Svchost.exe is a normal Windows process that is involved in doing a lot of things.

Reference (and you can google for additional reads):

https://www.lifewire.com/scvhost-exe-4174462

Note that the link provides some suggestions and guidance with respect to identifying a specific reason.

The use of "tasklist" via the command prompt for example.

What you must guard against is jumping to some conclusion and then stopping things or making changes.

If you find something suspicious then focus on finding a way to confirm that that is indeed the problem.

Once the problem is identified then the next step is to find and apply the appropriate solution/fix.

TRENDING THREADS