[SOLVED] How can I fix my fan

pmz94

Commendable
Sep 16, 2020
pmz94.github.io
I have a Cooler Master Sickleflow X for a long time and it became too noisy.
I wanted to lube it to kill it's noise but it got it's bearing sealed.
How can I fix this noise?

One curious thing is I actually have 2 of this fan model adquired the same time, one for intake, one for exhaust
the noisy fan is the intake one, the exhaust one still quiet
I believe noise came because it was too tight to the front panel that the dust filter was touching the fan blades as they are a little bit worn out.

Solution
At least a decade ago (maybe 2 or more) the fans used in computers were of different construction and similar to other small motors, and you could actually disassemble them to clean and oil bearings. That was only a short-term fix, though, because the real problem was wear in the bearings making them looser, and that wear simply continued on. HOWEVER, today's fan design is different and you really can NOT take them apart and expect to re-assemble them to work properly. The only real soultion for an old fan that becomes noisy - especially when it first starts up when cold - is to replace it when the noise gets too bad.
If you remove the sticker on the fan you can't see the bearing?

If you can see the bearing. 1-2 drop of oil and you turn it a few time by hands and make sure no oil is dripping etc. That fan should be good to go.

I did this for over a dozen fan so far and that fixed a sound issue with them 100% of the time until it stars again which didn't happen for all of them.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
At least a decade ago (maybe 2 or more) the fans used in computers were of different construction and similar to other small motors, and you could actually disassemble them to clean and oil bearings. That was only a short-term fix, though, because the real problem was wear in the bearings making them looser, and that wear simply continued on. HOWEVER, today's fan design is different and you really can NOT take them apart and expect to re-assemble them to work properly. The only real soultion for an old fan that becomes noisy - especially when it first starts up when cold - is to replace it when the noise gets too bad.

Solution

I only did that on old fans so I guess you can't now? Bearing hole is blocked?

pmz94

Commendable
Sep 16, 2020
pmz94.github.io
If you remove the sticker on the fan you can't see the bearing?

If you can see the bearing. 1-2 drop of oil and you turn it a few time by hands and make sure no oil is dripping etc. That fan should be good to go.

I did this for over a dozen fan so far and that fixed a sound issue with them 100% of the time until it stars again which didn't happen for all of them.
Oh I forgot, yes, I removed the fan sticker, actually both stickers, the motor side and fan blades side but none of these have a bearing lid, just a solid surface, so basically it’s a sealed bearing.