teo.kostovski

Commendable
Sep 1, 2017
Basically, how do I know what GPU would pair with what CPU, and vice versa? What should i look for in a CPU and GPU to know that they are a good combination?

Solution
GPU Bottlenecks are desirable. Your GPU sitting at 100% while your CPU has room to spare for other tasks is always the ideal scenario.
CPU bottlenecks are bad. They cause stuttering and Waste the money you spent to buy a good GPU.

When you're buying a CPU/GPU usually it's recommended that your GPU costs 2x of what your CPU costs. Since the market is super competitive right now, you can even pair cheap CPUs like AMD's Ryzen 3 3300X with a fairly high-End GPU. The 3300x Stock can easily be paired with a 2060 Super without causing much of a bottleneck although CPU Reliant games do push it to 100% Usage so I'd personally suggest 1660 Ti as the max.

A slightly more expensive CPU Ryzen 5 3600 can be easily paired with an RTX 2080 Ti...
GPU Bottlenecks are desirable. Your GPU sitting at 100% while your CPU has room to spare for other tasks is always the ideal scenario.
CPU bottlenecks are bad. They cause stuttering and Waste the money you spent to buy a good GPU.

When you're buying a CPU/GPU usually it's recommended that your GPU costs 2x of what your CPU costs. Since the market is super competitive right now, you can even pair cheap CPUs like AMD's Ryzen 3 3300X with a fairly high-End GPU. The 3300x Stock can easily be paired with a 2060 Super without causing much of a bottleneck although CPU Reliant games do push it to 100% Usage so I'd personally suggest 1660 Ti as the max.

A slightly more expensive CPU Ryzen 5 3600 can be easily paired with an RTX 2080 Ti without causing a bottleneck. Now there are many CPUs above R5 3600 but unless you're going to play games that are heavily CPU Reliant like AC-Odyssey, CSGO or MMOs that take advantage of a lot of AI you wont need more CPU Firepower.

In-Game FPS is also highly dependant upon Clock Speeds. Even thought R5 3600 will not bottleneck your GPU, if you Overclock the same processor you will notice an increase in FPS simply because games prefer higher Clock speeds over Core counts.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Basically, how do I know what GPU would pair with what CPU, and vice versa? What should i look for in a CPU and GPU to know that they are a good combination?
Read lots.
Ask lots of questions.

Start here:

and here:

and here:

And mostly, understand what the term "bottleneck" actually means. Or just put it out of your thought process completely.

Agree with Tioym.

CPU bottlenecks are bad, and maxing out GPU usage while having some headroom with the CPU is is basically the best outcome.

If you plaan on streaming and gaming then you will want more CPU headroom so something with a higher core count would be a better option, for example the Ryzen 3600 is perferfect for gaming, but if you plan on streaming then you should bump up to the Ryzen 3700

logainofhades

Titan
Agree with Tioym.

CPU bottlenecks are bad, and maxing out GPU usage while having some headroom with the CPU is is basically the best outcome.

If you plaan on streaming and gaming then you will want more CPU headroom so something with a higher core count would be a better option, for example the Ryzen 3600 is perferfect for gaming, but if you plan on streaming then you should bump up to the Ryzen 3700

3700 isn't needed for streaming, if you have an 1660,or better, Nvidia card. Nvenc can handle that job easily. As stated earlier, asking lots of questions, or doing a good amount of research, are your best tools.

Reactions: Tioym