Dash46

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2016
I am recording some home videos from VHS tapes to a digital copy for a friend. She wants to be able to play them on the tv with flash drive. I am having trouble figuring out why I cannot play these videos on the TV from the Flash Drive and needs some help. I can play the video on the computer and display them on the tv from my laptop with hdmi. I cannot get it to play with just the flash drive in the tv. I have two flash drive I am working with. I have one formatted in NTFS the other in EXFat. I am tying to get to it work both on a Samsung (Model Un32EH4003fxza) and a Sanyo (Model DP42841). The Sanyo will not detect either flash drive. The Samsung will only detect the NTFS flash drive; but not the video files.

Most of the videos are MP4 MPEG-4 Codec 60fps. I have tried recording videos in MP4 in MP4 MPEG-4 Codec 30 FPS; Both AVI and MP4 in H264 Codec 60 and 30 fps; AVI in MPEG-1 Codec 30 FPS; AVI in XVid Codec 30 FPS. None of these has worked. I am using bandicam to record the videos. Other information I could find was the MP4 videos were recorded with AAC Audio Codec with 192 bitrate. The AVI videos were recorded with Mp3 Codec 192 bitrate. The memory of each of these videos is 3 GB; the most being 6 GB.

Can someone please help me figure out why I cannot play these videos on the TVs from flash drive.

Save the troubles and get a cheap Android TV box. These days a popular Chinese e-commerce site had one for $15, with free worldwide shipping (I have no idea how do they do it).

Otherwise: Start with lowest-quality video (720p, 24fps, two minutes) to establish what these TVs like. It might turn out the USB ports are for service only.

Edit: That Samsung is 720p, quite old model. Keep your expectations low.