[SOLVED] How To Add HDD On To A Prebuilt That Uses An SSD? Plz read description first.

Aug 6, 2020
How do you add an HDD on a prebuilt system that uses an SDD? (Assuming that there are no drive brackets or drive cages.)
What do I need? Where do I find drive cages, drive brackets, and SATA cables? Also, if you are wondering, I am referring to a Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB HDD. I can't find good YouTube tutorials on this.

Also if you want to know for some reason why I chose a prebuilt over building a pc, it's because this is my first desktop and I don't want to ruin things on the first go.

Solution
from what I can gather from the pictures I could find the SSD is mounted to the top of the 3.5 inch drive bay.
if you do not move the PC, as mentioned above velcro or I prefer a durable double sided tape can be used to secure a drive. just remember to remove the drive before transporting the computer. I attach a strip along the long edges of the HDD, where the screws normally secure. if the system is stable and stationary you only need enough stick to keep the drive in place. even a single screw would safely secure it whilst you get the proper cages/rails/mounts from the case manufacturer.
you would need to remove the side panel of the computer to access the drive bay. if its removable I suggest unplugging the SSD and removing the bay...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
SATA cables, you can find in any place that sells PC parts.

Cages and brackets tend to be very case-specific, so it's much harder to go out and buy a great solution. If you have a 5.25" drive bay, they sell brackets that allow you to use them as a location for a 3.5" hard drive or two 2.5" hard drives.

Sometimes, you just have to be creative. I have to admit that I've used strong velcro to mount drives at times.

Aug 6, 2020
Welcome to the forums :D

What pre-built system do you have? can you post a link to the product page or specs of the system and links to the drive you are considering?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085F2BFWR/ref=twister_B085F35SBJ?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
Ryzen 5 2600 6-core 3.4 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Super 6g
500 gb ssd
16gb DDR4 3000MHz Ram
A320 Motherboard
550 watt power supply (no brand name in description)
AMD stock cooler.

(I don't know if the case has room for a drive cage. If not then I will probably get a ssd instead.)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
from what I can gather from the pictures I could find the SSD is mounted to the top of the 3.5 inch drive bay.
if you do not move the PC, as mentioned above velcro or I prefer a durable double sided tape can be used to secure a drive. just remember to remove the drive before transporting the computer. I attach a strip along the long edges of the HDD, where the screws normally secure. if the system is stable and stationary you only need enough stick to keep the drive in place. even a single screw would safely secure it whilst you get the proper cages/rails/mounts from the case manufacturer.
you would need to remove the side panel of the computer to access the drive bay. if its removable I suggest unplugging the SSD and removing the bay from the PC before securing the drive.
a word or two on proper grounding

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

Solution