[SOLVED] I have internet but when connected through router I don't

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
Hello there!

So earlier this day my internet provided had maintance and I had no internet for a hour or two. And when they reconnected I had no internet. I tried powering off the router for 30min and plugging it back in(works every time) but it didnt work this time. So i powered off the router and the modem, still didnt work. I called the provider, they reseted me and said that everything was good from their side. So I connected straight from modem to PC and I had net on the PC. I tried from modem to router to PC it didnt work. No internet on the PC or phone. What could be the problem? I tried different internet driver, still doesnt work.
My router is: Tenda AC1200

Solution
WIN+I click on network and internet, click change adapter options. Then right click the adapter that you are using go to properties, then you will see the TCPv4 and depending on the age and driver you may say TCPv6 in there. click those then lower right click Properties and make sure those are all set on auto. if your on windows 10 there is a very simple way to reset your network settings and drivers to rule all of that out at once. which is to again WIN+I network and internet, but this time just scroll down a little and click on network reset. and then reboot the pc. if on another OS let me know i can provide different instructions.

side question. can you log into the router? like not even plugged into the modem, just the router...

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
News!
I have tried an older router and it works. But poorly. So, any chance someone might know what the problem is?
Like, before the maintance, Router was great, everything was normal. After that, router is “broken” somehow. I don’t get what the problem could be

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
if you plug any computer into the modem first, it remembers the MAC address and it will not connect to the router. power down the modem and router, about 1 min. plug in modem, wait for it to load and come online fully, then power up the router and let it load, and check if you have internet. also check your TCPv4 and TCPv6 settings on the computer make sure they are set for the new router, either Dynamic or static per the new router's Subnet. But use Dynamic first to get a connection and get it set up.

Edit:
Factory reset the router after the modem is coming online so that it connects to a freshly powered on modem and is at it's factory state. use the pin hole on the router, hold for 10 seconds, pull power while still holding the pin hole button.

Reactions: winncootMKD

winncootMKD

Honorable
Dec 26, 2015
if you plug any computer into the modem first, it remembers the MAC address and it will not connect to the router. power down the modem and router, about 1 min. plug in modem, wait for it to load and come online fully, then power up the router and let it load, and check if you have internet. also check your TCPv4 and TCPv6 settings on the computer make sure they are set for the new router, either Dynamic or static per the new router's Subnet. But use Dynamic first to get a connection and get it set up.

Edit:
Factory reset the router after the modem is coming online so that it connects to a freshly powered on modem and is at it's factory state. use the pin hole on the router, hold for 10 seconds, pull power while still holding the pin hole button.
Can you explain more about the TCPv4 snd TCPv6? Where and how

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
WIN+I click on network and internet, click change adapter options. Then right click the adapter that you are using go to properties, then you will see the TCPv4 and depending on the age and driver you may say TCPv6 in there. click those then lower right click Properties and make sure those are all set on auto. if your on windows 10 there is a very simple way to reset your network settings and drivers to rule all of that out at once. which is to again WIN+I network and internet, but this time just scroll down a little and click on network reset. and then reboot the pc. if on another OS let me know i can provide different instructions.

side question. can you log into the router? like not even plugged into the modem, just the router itself can you go to the GUI and settings? one more question, are both the modem and router plugged into the SAME surge strip? i know it sounds dumb, but i have seen personally an issue where what your describing happened to a customer of mine, and i could get into the GUI on the router with OUT the modem plugged in, but plugging the modem into the router and i would lose everything. somehow, these were on two different legs of power, very weird electrical in the house, and it caused a timing issue between the modem and router. once both were plugged into the same surge strip, problem was solved.

Solution