ricsaka

Honorable
Jul 5, 2014
Hi!
I'm planning to build a NAS system and I need some advice. The system will be used mainly for local movie streaming in 4K and 1080p on Plex server. I would like to use Synology OS on it (my college uses a built NAS with this OS and he recommended it for me)
I don't know if I should use Intel or Ryzen for it, also if I need an integrated GPU or not.

I have another thing I don't know about. My college can acces his NAS remotely from anywhere. Do I need a VPN for that? Also is it possible to stream 1080p or even 4K movies remotely? Maybe in two devices at the same time?

I apperciate every help.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
@ricsaka Synology OS is a Linux distribution designed to run on their boxes. With the proper bootloader, you can get it to run on a PC, but not all hardware will be supported (hence Jeremy recommending a prebuilt box).

Current CPUs from AMD and Intel are way more CPU then you need ... if you really want to build this yourself, read up on Raspberry Pi Plex Servers.

A good GPU is not required on a server because you normally access it remotely. The only time you might need to connect a monitor to your server is during setup.

A VPN router would allow you access your server more securely from a remote location, but it is not required. The rate you can stream at will depend on your network bandwidth. Same with the number of...
Hi!
I'm planning to build a NAS system and I need some advice. The system will be used mainly for local movie streaming in 4K and 1080p on Plex server. I would like to use Synology OS on it (my college uses a built NAS with this OS and he recommended it for me)
I don't know if I should use Intel or Ryzen for it, also if I need an integrated GPU or not.

I have another thing I don't know about. My college can acces his NAS remotely from anywhere. Do I need a VPN for that? Also is it possible to stream 1080p or even 4K movies remotely? Maybe in two devices at the same time?

I apperciate every help.

Thanks in advance.
In all honesty you are better off just purchasing a Synology, QNAP, etc... NAS than building one yourself.

@ricsaka Synology OS is a Linux distribution designed to run on their boxes. With the proper bootloader, you can get it to run on a PC, but not all hardware will be supported (hence Jeremy recommending a prebuilt box).

Current CPUs from AMD and Intel are way more CPU then you need ... if you really want to build this yourself, read up on Raspberry Pi Plex Servers.

A good GPU is not required on a server because you normally access it remotely. The only time you might need to connect a monitor to your server is during setup.

A VPN router would allow you access your server more securely from a remote location, but it is not required. The rate you can stream at will depend on your network bandwidth. Same with the number of devices.

It's a fun project and I encourage you to play with it, but I would avoid spending a lot of money on it.

Reactions: ricsaka
Solution

TRENDING THREADS