Jun 23, 2023
For context, recently while updating windows my power had gone out and corrupted the OS on my HDD. I've had an SSD on standby for awhile now so I figured I'd install windows on the new SSD. Since then, my SSD doesn't appear in BIOS but my HDD does. BUT my SSD appears on windows (file manager/ computer manager) but my HDD doesn't. After a restart, the hard drive will appear but will then vanish if I try to download anything onto it (it has been formatted to delete the corrupted os).

If it helps, I have an MSI motherboard, and I use windows 10
Also this is my first custom build that I built in November of 2022 so all the parts are relatively new

I think I should also note that I gave it a restart recently and now Im either met with the bios or a "displayport no signal" popup

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What about if you *only* have the SSD installed? You shouldn't have any drive installed other than the one you're installing the OS to until the install is completed.

What do you mean be resetting Windows to install a new OS? Do you simply mean rebooting your computer? Because I can't think of any way a Windows reset would be relevant to an OS install on another drive.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If the SSD is a SATA drive (not M.2 NVMe) try moving it to a different SATA port on the motherboard.

Disconnect the hard disk from the motherboard, switch on the computer and enter the BIOS.

Go to the section in the BIOS which displays the status of the SATA ports. If the SSD is working, it should appear in this list.

The SSD might also appear in the section where you set the drive boot order.

If the SSD is not detected, try another SATA data cable and another SATA power connector.

If the SSD remains invisible after swapping both leads, test the SSD in another computer or fit it in SATA-to-USB caddy.

If the SSD is still not visible in a second computer, then it's probably dead. I have several SATA SSDs which died suddenly for no apparent reason.

A drive might be detected in the BIOS and displayed in Windows 'Disk Management' but remain invisible in 'File Manager', because no partitions have been created on the drive (MBR or GPT) and/or there are no formatted partitions (NTFS, FAT32, exFAT).