Discussion I want a keyboard that sounds like the Ornata Chroma, but don't want a membrane keyboard again.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
So for a while, I've been playing and typing with a Rosewill Apollo with a red backlight and clicky tactile switches. So I ran across an ASMR video where the ASMRtist was typing on a few different keyboards, and the Razer Ornata Chroma was one of them. I fell in love with the sound, but I'm wondering if there is a mechanical equivalent in sound. RGB is a bonus, because I'm trying an Orange AORUS theme in my rig. I'll take any suggestions. And if anyone owns the keyboard they recommend, I'd love to get an audio clip of some typing on the switches. Thanks in advance!

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Head to a BestBuy store and try out some keyboards there.

I have a Corsiar with MX Silent switches, they are very quiet, similar to a membrane keyboard.
The reason I want a switch like the Ornata's, is that the Ornata Chroma is one of the loudest, clickiest keyboards on the market. If it doesn't sound like I'm snapping a plastic rod every time I press a key, it's not good enough. XD

The reason I want a switch like the Ornata's, is that the Ornata Chroma is one of the loudest, clickiest keyboards on the market. If it doesn't sound like I'm snapping a plastic rod every time I press a key, it's not good enough. XD

Hm, I would have through from the fact it used membrane that it would have a softer quieter click. If you are looking for loud and tactile, get a set of blue switches then. If you go to the generic brands like you find on Amazon they will be even louder.

Hm, I would have through from the fact it used membrane that it would have a softer quieter click. If you are looking for loud and tactile, get a set of blue switches then. If you go to the generic brands like you find on Amazon they will be even louder.
They are essentially membrane switches with a massive mechanical "feel and sound" added to them.
Its really just a way to sell another membrane keyboard (again, from when I tried it).

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I would call ahead if you plan going to Bestbuy to test keyboards or switch types because I went to 2 (both busy and one in a major city) but neither had any boards on display.

If you want clicky, yes try blues, and they are snappy too (not heavy feeling, or at least on the K552 they don't feel heavy despite I've read Blues described as 'heavy')

Personally I think the blues are way too loud, I just bought a redragon k552 compact 87 key AKA TKL with blue switch (not cherry brand switches but it gets great reviews for only $32 shipped and I needed a backup board anyway) and has red-only LED (red is good because it's one of the colors which when used in dark doesn't affect eyesight as much in terms of like when you look at a white lightbulb and close your eyes and can still see that lightbulb - red is good in terms of stuff like that but I do have simple white set to my other RBG keyboard and don't have problems using it in dark). I don't understand why anyone would want distracting fluttering and wavy color changing or even non-solid color LED, but whatever.

I almost returned this redragon k552 (even for a loss if there would be one like return shipping or for being used) because of the noise (and because I hate the stretched out font it has which many other board do too but can get used to that). But for $32 I'll keep it and am also getting a cherry MX-red equivalent lower-end board for like $40.

I think these off-brand boards are decent as long as the reviews say so, and if you need a backup, it's a low cost board and get a better brand Cherry MX blue RGB for main board.

I have a RGB Cherry mx Brown board which is tactical but doesn't have the rebound click like Blues and is no where near as loud as the blues.

I've had a cherry MX Red Silent corsair STRAFE which basically felt like a membrane board to me and was very quiet and non clicky but I think quiet might be my preference, I only got rid of the STRAFE because I don't need the number pad taking up 5" of space on the right of the keyboard...

so for a good price I'll have all 3:
$115 iKBC F87 PBT RGB Cherry MX brown
$32 redragon K552 RED non-cherry blue switches
~$40 off brand Red switch (but good reviews) solid color LED.

of course, if you're not familiar, go ahead and google differences between cherry mx switch types. If a Chinese off-brand board says 'blue' or 'red' or 'brown' or 'black' then it will/should match the specs of the cherry versions.
they might be lacking slightly in certain aspects but should be a good board for about half the price or less than a cherry board and is good for a backup.

I too, watched many videos comparing different keys and to be honest I think it's something you really need to take home and use in order to determine, so the cheaper off brand boards are good for testing if you are ok with keeping them as basically back-ups if you end up not preferring the switch type.
Or instead, just buy used/refurbished boards on ebay and see if you can return them at no loss if you feel like it (paypal allows like 12X $30 free return shippings per year).
You could also buy from main retailers like BestBuy and return New as Used with no loss of return shipping or for how it's now used, to test through different boards that way - I don't think I do that though because basically they then sell it at a slight loss as Refurbished at the expense of you basically borrowing it.

ShredAgain

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
To be clear, I've researched a TON of mechanical switches since starting this post. To all of you suggesting the MX Blues or clones thereof, I'm not sure if it was clear, but that's what I already have and am currently typing on. I'm not satisfied with the sound. It's something akin to the sound a potato chip makes when you snap it in half, then the sound of plastic on plastic and spring coil. In a separate, identical post I made on the Linus Tech Tips forum, someone recommended a specific switch to me, and I'm now in love with their sound. This switch is the NovelKeys Kailh Box Navy. It has little to no wobble, it's compatible with most PCB mount LEDs, it's IP56 rated, and thanks to it's clickbar design, when it clicks it sounds like the world's smallest whip being cracked. It's honestly bizarre how they got so much sound out of such a small housing. I have looked at MX Blue, Gateron Blue, Kailh Box White, Jade, and Navy, and even considered genuinely giving the Mecha-Membrane switches a try, and yet nothing has impressed me like the Box Navy switch. Now, back to my original statement: I am not looking for, say, a typical MX or clone switch, but I'm sure I haven't investigated every possible clicky switch yet. If anyone has any keyboard or switch suggestions, do let me know! I want to be as informed as possible before I pull the trigger on 40 bucks plus of NovelKeys Kailh Navies and around 100 bucks for a GMMK barebones kit.