Chrixy

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Hello,

I'm more of a software person, so I don't know much about hardware, so I'm asking you guys here for help. :)

So I want to buy a new ServerPC. Look below what I want to use it for.

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I can.
Budget Range: I don't really have a budget..
System Usage: ServerPC with File/Storage Server, DNS, AD DS, IIS Server and Game servers(example: Minecraft).
Are you buying a monitor: Yes.
Parts to Upgrade: Not upgrading, I'm buying a new one.
Do you need to buy OS: Yes.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any really since I will buy it in a Norwegian storesite.
Parts Preferences: Intel? Don't worry about this plz.
Your Monitor Resolution: none
Additional Comments: I just want a ServerPC that can have and run everything I ask for. (See System Usage).

Please ask me in the comments if you need to know more.

Thanks
-Chrixy

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really possible to answer without a semblance of a budget. Your needs are generic, but I couldn't tell you the performance you need to run an IIS server hosting something with unknown requirements, a Minecraft server hosting an unknown number of clients (not to mention world size, etc) Practically any hardware is suitable to be a file/storage server, DNS is light, as is AD.

For example, I have an IIS server at work hosting an internal website that requires 16 cores and 32 threads and 128GB of ram to meet user requests in a 'timely' manner. (And it is only doing the web hosting, whole other server for the database) And it certainly isn't hosting a minecraft server, DNS, etc at the same time.

Chrixy

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Not really possible to answer without a semblance of a budget. Your needs are generic, but I couldn't tell you the performance you need to run an IIS server hosting something with unknown requirements, a Minecraft server hosting an unknown number of clients (not to mention world size, etc) Practically any hardware is suitable to be a file/storage server, DNS is light, as is AD.

For example, I have an IIS server at work hosting an internal website that requires 16 cores and 32 threads and 128GB of ram to meet user requests in a 'timely' manner. (And it is only doing the web hosting, whole other server for the database) And it certainly isn't hosting a minecraft server, DNS, etc at the same time.

I don't know how much a server costs, so I don't know how much to put in. But just to say a budget, can I get something for like 1k-2k$ or do I have to put more money in? How much money do you at least have to use for a good Server-PC for my use? And also, I wont be buying this Server-PC until next year, if that matters.

As of now, I could just use like webs.com or something instead of an IIS, since I wont have a heavy website right now. If I want a more heavy one, I could just upgrade to an IIS later. The only thing I want to be using the website to now, is to advertise my social medias, and have a donation site for my Minecraft server that works with a Minecraft plugin.

For the Minecraft Server, I will host a BungeeCord server with some servers like Survival, Creative and some Minecraft Games. In the start, I will have a Hub, Survival, Creative and Hunger Games. More games may come later, but these for now.

also: will this be a PC acting as a server, or a Rack-mounted actual server?

I think a PC acting server is the best here since I will be using the Windows Server OS, and I don't think that is possible with a Rack-mounted server?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Rack mounted servers can certainly run Windows, either directly or hosted on a VM, not sure what gave you the idea they can't. Just a form factor really. Has to have compatible hardware, which could be anything from a dual socket 128 core monster, to a pair of Atom cores. And that is just sticking with common off the shelf stuff at this point. You start looking at expandable blade servers and your only limit becomes electricity use (Though Windows, typically, wouldn't be an option at that point, core and memory limits)

IIS isn't super commonly used for serious web applications. So many flaws and limitations. Windows itself is certainly a minority. Typically Unix/Linux running all your major websites.

And this is coming from a Windows server admin...Roughly 15% of our servers are Windows, and they are usually for industry specific applications, or forced on us by vendors. Though Microsoft has proven itself to be rather competitive when it comes to cost of late. Other vendors have been sticking it to us.

I think you should start out with an off the shelf PC and see how it performs. Pick up a used Haswell business machine, like an i7-4770 16GB of memory. Should cost you around $250-300. You can experiment, see what you need, and the limitations of hardware in general, without spending too much.

Then if you find you need a more heavy duty server. Start looking at used workstations with Xeons and ECC memory, or build your own Ryzen Pro or Xeon build.

Rack mounts can run Windows just fine.

If you aren't buying for a year, wait until then. By then a whole new generation of CPUs and GPUs will be out, prices will be different on a lot of things. Assuming you're buying sooner, I can probly put together a decent 'prosumer' machine in your price range

So your primary use will be hosting Minecraft? Will you have multiple servers in Virtual Machines?

Chrixy

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
OhOkay. I just guessed since im not familiar with rack mounted servers. I problably should have Googled that before I answered. I think I will go with a PC-acting server in the beginning since I'm most familiar with that.

@Eximo : Thank you for the information. I will start with a PC-Server in the beginning and maybe upgrade later on when I have more experience with servers than I have now, and/or if I see that I need a more heavy server for my useage.

@ScrewySqrl : I will probably buy it in January or something when there is New-Year sales and stuff, so if you could put together a build, that would be great and I would be so happy :D

When I made this thread, I was thinking most of a File/Storage Server and a Minecraft Server. DNS, AD DS and IIS is just to and play with it to get the most of the experience that I need since I'm currently an apprentice within IT.

"Will you have multiple servers in Virtual Machines?" - I haven't thought about this. What do you recomend?

USAFRet

Titan
At this level, you don't need a "server".
You just need a semi robust PC with the appropriate software.

"File/Storage Server and a Minecraft Server " can run off just about any PC.

"DNS, AD DS and IIS is just to and play with " should be done with an OS (or 2) in a virtualmachine.
Easy to set up, given sufficient RAM ont he host box.

And you especially don't need a rack mount anything, unless you have an different room to put it in. They can be quite loud.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($204.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Toshiba X300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($195.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba X300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($195.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER S ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1834.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 12:37 EST-0500

Reactions: Chrixy
Solution