cryorig h7
asus z170 sabertooth z
4x4 16gb ddr4 2400mhz
gtx 750ti sc
2tb seagate hdd
Pcie wifi card
2 case fans
650 evga gold + psu

Basically my problem is that my 2nd dimm slot seems to be causing instability issues with my system, such as crashing quickly after stress testing with Prime-95; throughout this testing I used Prime-95 to determine if my system was stable. For example, I cannot overclock my system at all if a ram stick is populating the 2nd slot, however, if I use any configuration of 1-3 sticks of ram while not populating that dimm slot, I can overclock my cpu extremely easily from 3.5ghz to 4.5ghz with seemingly stable results running prime-95 while also running my rams XMP profile. Furthermore, even if I am not overclocking it seems to cause instability issues with my system.

To note, I've tested each stick individually and have learned they are all stable when they are used on any slot except the 2nd.

My overclocking process was me increasing the cpu, imc, and dram voltage respectively to 1.38, 1.2, 1.25. The cpu speed being rasied to 4.5 ghz, and the ram with xmp to 2400mhz. Ive also tried lowering the ram speed to 1333 and raising the timings as well. With marginal increases and decrease from testing the results revealed that regardless of what changes I made to the settings above, the 2nd dimm slot caused instability while when it was not populated the system was stable at the settings above.

Some backround
--------------------
In the past I've had issues with my computer shutting off following with some static noise afterwards, it does not happen nearly as often but still occasionally. Also, I havent had an io shield since I built the pc 3 years ago.

Thats really all I can think of typing, please let me know if you have any ideas! Thank you!

Solution
Mixing kits is never a good idea even if they are the same P/N.
Kits are matched by the manufacturer and binned to match Latency.
Your RAM kits are listed on the QVL however mixing them has caused instability.
Return what you have and get a (2x8) 16GB kit. There is less strain on the IMC with (2x8).
Nov 27, 2020
Sounds like contamination in the DIMM_A2 slot or the slot is dead. It also could be bent pins in the MB CPU socket.
Remove the HSF and carefully inspect the MB CPU socket with a magnifier. Bent pins can be carefully bent back using a toothpick.

Hey! Thanks so much for replying, what is the HSF? Also I forgot to mention the 2nd slot recognizes the ram if that makes a difference.

Hey! Thanks so much for replying, what is the HSF? Also I forgot to mention the 2nd slot recognizes the ram if that makes a difference.

HSF stands for Heatsink and Fan. You have to dismount the CPU to inspect the socket.

I'm a little confused as to why your unable to Overclock with a module in the 2nd slot which recognizes your RAM and your RAM has tested OK? Try to explain a little better.

Nov 27, 2020
HSF stands for Heatsink and Fan. You have to dismount the CPU to inspect the socket.

I'm a little confused as to why your unable to Overclock with a module in the 2nd slot which recognizes your RAM and your RAM has tested OK? Try to explain a little better.

Thank you! Yeah so sorry if I'm not being clear or don't understand your question, but the 2nd slot will recognize the ram and the system will be stable as long as there is no oc present on the cpu, but if there is the system will crash.

Thank you! Yeah so sorry if I'm not being clear or don't understand your question, but the 2nd slot will recognize the ram and the system will be stable as long as there is no oc present on the cpu, but if there is the system will crash.

How were you Overclocking your CPU and at what frequency? Within Bios? using your multiplier?
Please list the P/N (part No) of your RAM kit?

Nov 27, 2020
Also

Hello, thank you again for your help. So I was overclocking my cpu by incrementally increasing the core voltage from stock to 1.4, and using the multiplier entering a value from 38-45. When instability occurred I began upping my dram voltage in the same way in increments up to 1.3 volts while lowering speeds as well. Also, I began upping the voltage of the imc from stock to 1.25 incrementally. It was within the bios as well.

Here’s my ram kit, w/n: 5160428019, team dark 4gb 2400, CL 14-16-16-31

Also Ill attach a picture of my socket as I think there are no bent pins but maybe you might think so. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tDSbGKqFAZ57PrhSHXSwcTMaWU98b0b3/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I cannot see any anomalies with your CPU socket pins. From your description you were Overclocking correctly.

w/n: 5160428019 is not the P/N, It will appear something like this: TED44GM2400C16BK
Reason for this is to check if your RAM are listed on the MB QVL and that they are a tested kit and known to work.

You listed a kit (4x4) 16GB so is this 4 individual kits with same specs and P/N or a single kit.?

Here is your QVL: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO/4L-memory_QVL.pdf

Check the modules for errors using Memtest86 by booting from a USB to eliminate the possibility of faulty RAM.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
I cannot see any anomalies with your CPU socket pins. From your description you were Overclocking correctly.

w/n: 5160428019 is not the P/N, It will appear something like this: TED44GM2400C16BK
Reason for this is to check if your RAM are listed on the MB QVL and that they are a tested kit and known to work.

You listed a kit (4x4) 16GB so is this 4 individual kits with same specs and P/N or a single kit.?

Here is your QVL: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-PRO/4L-memory_QVL.pdf

Check the modules for errors using Memtest86 by booting from a USB to eliminate the possibility of faulty RAM.

Thats all good news thank you! So in regards to my ram I found the code: TED48GM2400C16BK, I bought two separate 2x4gb stick sets, so one set at first then later bought another and added it. I will do what you suggested thank you! Let me know if there is any other info I can provide.

Mixing kits is never a good idea even if they are the same P/N.
Kits are matched by the manufacturer and binned to match Latency.
Your RAM kits are listed on the QVL however mixing them has caused instability.
Return what you have and get a (2x8) 16GB kit. There is less strain on the IMC with (2x8).

Solution