Jan 22, 2021
So I recently upgraded my cpu from a i3-6100 to a i7-7700k on my B150M-A D3 motherboard. I upgraded to the latest version of the BIOS and bought some DDR3L 1.35V ram (because it’s the only compatible RAM with my cpu and motherboard) so everything should technically be okay.
But the problem is that every time I open my computer, my disk goes up to 100% in my task bar (cpu is also really irregular, it can jump from 5% to 45% back and forth) and does this for about 10 minutes but goes down when I’m not doing anything. The other big problem is that when I’m doing something demanding, like playing certain types of video games, my cpu and disk goes up to 100% in my task bar and, for example, my video games will lag super hard while having something like 4-5 FPS which isn’t normal at all because with my old cpu everything was super good.

I reinstalled multiple times my GPU drivers and in some games like Overwatch, For Honor, League of Legends everything is going okay. My cpu goes up to 45% while playing those games(which is unusual compared to my old cpu but is still working, I guess). But in other video games it’s really chaotic, like mentioned before.

My cpu average temperature is around 40-45 degrees (Celsius). I recently installed my cooler and thermal paste so I don’t think it’s the problem. Also my cpu is running at his normal clock speed(not overclocked) at 4.2 Ghz

Last thing, I recently noticed that ,sometimes, my computer turns off and restarts out of nowhere by itself.

I ran multiple antivirus and there’s nothing, in this area as well.

•What should I do now?? I tried everything that have been said online and nothing changed. Any tips? Which BIOS setting should I apply to make a difference to my current situation ? Do I need to do a new Windows install, will it work if I do it??

And also if I put my old cpu back, is it going to stay like that or will it go back to normal?

Specs:
I7-7700k
Cooler master hyper 212
B150M-A D3 motherboard
Gagabyte gtx 1050ti
16GB SP DDR3L 1.35V
HDD 1TB (My disk is half way full, like 450 Gb full)
EVGA 500w bronze power supply

You should really get SSD for your system. No modern pc should be without it.
What model HDD are you using?
Can you show screenshot from HDtune health?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Also check, if all cpu cores/threads are being detected correctly. Show screenshot from Task Manager/Performance/CPU view.

Reactions: Nemesia

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you verified all 4 cores / 8 threads are present in task manager? Windows can limit cores after upgrading from a lesser core processor, sometimes limiting to single or two cores. Can fix that in msconfig if this is the case.

Duplicate topic.