[SOLVED] iBuyPower BB903 has 2 power modes on the PSU. However, it only runs on the lower setting

Mar 17, 2022
Hey all. Kinda low-key on being a computer enthusiast. I bought the premade BB903 tower from a Best Buy quite a few years ago. I recently made a move and investigating my PC while cleaning and putting it back together I just remembered a functionality I never seemed to get the juice out of.

The power supply on the BB903 has a little red switch. It says 115, and flicking it over reveals 230. I’m assuming these are Watts.

Well, when I first got the gear, I remember thinking “oh wow! I can double the power!” But it displays a BiOS saying “the computer is turning off to avoid a power surge.” It has always done this in the 230w mode. Is this intentional? Or this something I can activate?

I had always been underwhelmed with the upgrades I made to the available slots of this model. I had purchased an identical 8GB RAM and saw little improvement. And once again, when I replaced and installed the GTX 1060 6gb version graphics card. There is an additional slot to put another 1060 and 2 additional slots for the RAM but because I saw near-no improvement, why should I? Is there hidden potential within this 230w switch? How do I go about avoiding this “power surge”?

That is all. Thank you!

Solution
that number is related to the power you have in your house. in the US we have 115v and most of the rest of the world uses 230v power

you have to use it to match the power you are giving it from the house. that's why it does not work on the 230v setting. it is not some secret power amp and can damage the system if you use the wrong setting. hence the error message and it shutting off on you

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that number is related to the power you have in your house. in the US we have 115v and most of the rest of the world uses 230v power

you have to use it to match the power you are giving it from the house. that's why it does not work on the 230v setting. it is not some secret power amp and can damage the system if you use the wrong setting. hence the error message and it shutting off on you

Reactions: BamBam135
Solution
Mar 17, 2022

awesome! Thank you

Mar 17, 2022
That PSU does not have a voltage switch.

Well you could Google what PSU is installed on the iBuyPower BB903. They’re are a couple different premade setups, each a BB(n)(n)(n). That is the info I could find. Nothing like a brand name is visible while it is seated and installed in the tower.

The question has been answered. Nothing useful is being presented.