Dec 17, 2020
What I've got is roughly more than a year old Dell Insipron 3580.
Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-8565U
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon 520 (Huge Bottleneck)
HDD: 930 GB HDD (690 GB Free)
Casing: Stock
Heatsink: Stock
Cooling technique: Air Cooling

I had been using this laptop since few months for gaming (mostly GTA V). I had known that this ain't a gaming pc. So, I used to play on low graphics and somewhat enough FPS. Yeah it heated up AF:crazy: if I got to high graphics or after hours of gaming which was understandable.:mouais: So, I always took these factors to considerations while playing (mostly). After some months, I finished and moved on some other titles(PS3/4 era games). I didn't measure temps much often before as it was pretty normal back then or so I thought.

Some months time lapse again and now I felt it somewhat freezing frequently. So I downloaded Afterburner (I had clocked the GPU previously too) and started monitoring stats frequently. I found out that my OC GPU was running 100% but had only 400-800 MHz out of 1200 MHz😩. The temps were also relatively cool. The CPU was however a completely different story. The usage was low 25%-40% (Max 55%). The clocks were 3000-4000 MHz(If I remember correctly). But the temps were scorching :hot:. My CPU was burning greater than 95°C :hot:continuously. No I did not have a single system restart due to throttling. However the games ended 2-3 times as CPU throttled. Though usually I did not experience noticeable FPS drops in game due to throttling even as CPU was continuously roasting itself enough to boil a litre of water while gaming. Surprisingly, The GPU remained in 60°C to 70°C line and often the GPU fans didn't even bother:sleep: while the CPU fans were rotating jet speed:mad:. The overall laptop casing also didn't heat up much until I had spent 2-3 hours gaming.

So I stopped gaming. I only played like once a week😒 . So even when idle or just surfing the internet I decided to check the CPU . The usage was usually below 10% to 15%. However the temps were above 50°C . However I thought it was equal to normal gaming temps in other PCs so no problem as that relatively icy temp wouldn't damage my CPU . I tried several monitoring tools thinking Afterburner was showing error. I tried HWMonitor, RealTemp and CoreTemp. All had similar findings, with minor 1/2 °C fluctuations across these apps. Even on idle the CPU tended to jump 90°C as if it were gaming every now and then though it had only barely above 15% usage. I ignored it thinking ocassional spikes might be normal and it couldn't hurt my CPU.
However After I plugged it in , It returned to its former BBQ business:hot:. Realtemp would sound the 100°C alarm every 10 secs.:homer: It would normally be in 75°C line and once in a while jump to above 90°C range for 2-3 seconds and return to 70/80 °C as if it were possessed by some Conjuring Virus. So I started charging it after shutting it down or in sleep😴 mode and keeping unplugged while using.

So, that's my tragic story. Hope you didn't find it so long and boring but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Hope I didn't bore you. If you need something else or got confused:??:, you know you don't need to hesitate. Thanks and Hope you Have a nice day.

Dec 17, 2020
Thanks
I guess there is only one fan.I found only one in Youtube. I couldn't insert the screenshot from my disk.

When it gets hot, it makes noise. So,I believe the fan is working. We don't have any pets. Though something else could be there, I can't see anything from the vents (excluding some dust).

Previously, I've opened many electronics which most of them went to trash shortly after. So, I ain't much comfortable with the idea but it is possible as a last resort.

Previously, I've been gaming keeping it over a blanket. Later I found out about the temps and blankets. So, I usually support the laptop by two books on either side keeping the central part about 2-3 cm over the blanket.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@Ex_Dr.Perimentz
change thermal compound. Between cpu and heatsink, there's a paste that conducts heat. Put some Kryonaut there. Also you can use thermal pad to take heat from hot parts of your laptop mobo. Specially if your laptop has any metal body parts, you can take the heat from mobo to the body and use your laptop as heatsink. Thermal pads are not electrically conductive so it's fine.

Dec 17, 2020
@Ex_Dr.Perimentz
change thermal compound. Between cpu and heatsink, there's a paste that conducts heat. Put some Kryonaut there. Also you can use thermal pad to take heat from hot parts of your laptop mobo. Specially if your laptop has any metal body parts, you can take the heat from mobo to the body and use your laptop as heatsink. Thermal pads are not electrically conductive so it's fine.

I'm trying to open it only as a last resort.
Before opening it I want to rule out other possibilities such as BIOS settings, Battery/Charger Problems, mistakely overclocked CPU or any common solutions I might have missed.
And Thermal paste is also not easily available where I'm currrently in.

RealBeast

Titan
Using the books should suffice. I would also blow out the heat exchange vents with compressed air (the kind from a can for computers). If that doesn't work, which it probably won't as those temps are awfully high, then move to the next step.

You are fortunate as Dell is one of the few companies that provides a full SERVICE MANUAL in the event that you do decide to open it some time in the future.

You are correct, it only has one fan that I can see and the heatsink is easily accessible.

But your warranty is two years, so I would start an RMA process to allow Dell to do the work at this time because if you open it your warranty is void.

Dec 17, 2020
Using the books should suffice. I would also blow out the heat exchange vents with compressed air (the kind from a can for computers). If that doesn't work, which it probably won't as those temps are awfully high, then move to the next step.

You are fortunate as Dell is one of the few companies that provides a full SERVICE MANUAL in the event that you do decide to open it some time in the future.

You are correct, it only has one fan that I can see and the heatsink is easily accessible.

But your warranty is two years, so I would start an RMA process to allow Dell to do the work at this time because if you open it your warranty is void.
So You think this is purely hardware error and not some problem on the software front(BIOS, etc)?
Kinda worried if I mistakenly changed some of the settings while trying to fix it since I also have slow startups,etc.

Thanks I'm Gonna talk to those Dell guys .

Dec 17, 2020
No software/bios change that a Dell laptop would let you do should cause those temperatures.
Thanks for clearing that out.

This is getting long but I just found out that I have a battery issue. The charge level decreased from 37% to 7% (my critical battery level) in a minute. It was normally declining before 37%. Then I checked HWMonitor and found out my wear percentage is 48%. Till 4-5 days ago, It was 34%.

I don't know maybe the charger is frying my CPU and battery as it tends to overheat when charging.