[SOLVED] Installed new SSD and switched my HDD in a caddy. HDD not working anymore

Feb 20, 2021
(Sorry for the bad english, not my first language).

I bought a new Crucial MX500 SSD and I replaced my TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 with it. I then put the HDD in the optic reader slot, in a caddy.
Premise: before this, my DVD reader didn't work.

I installed the OS (Windows 10 64b) on the SSD via USB booting, formatting all the partitions that i could. The system started and it worked well, but:

I can't start windows without booting (and then starting), otherwise it freezes on a black screen;
The PC can't shut down. Black screen here too;
The HDD is read as a new not-allocated memory. When I try formatting it, even with quick formatting, it takes hours and then it fails, with error 1001 on the event list.

Am I missing something with the new SSD-HDD configuration?
Is the SATA port faulty? How do I know?

Thank you.

Feb 20, 2021
I could try switching my SSD with HDD and viceversa, installing Windows on the HDD and trying the ssd in the caddy.

I now remember to add: I tried running CrystaldiskInfo and it says my HDD is good, having 0 errors in the various tests.

Feb 20, 2021
That seems to be the best choice.

If I can further ask you: if i wanted to buy another SSD or just go back to HDD for now, how could I format my SSD to wipe my data, if there's windows installed and my other interface is not working?

EDIT: Before buying another drive.

USAFRet

Titan
That seems to be the best choice.

If I can further ask you: if i wanted to buy another SSD or just go back to HDD for now, how could I format my SSD to wipe my data, if there's windows installed and my other interface is not working?

EDIT: Before buying another drive.
You can boot from a Windows USB to install with, right?

If so, boot up wit hthat.
Start the install process
When it asks where, select Custom
You'll see all the partitions on that drive.
Delete all, leaving one blank space.
Then quit the process
Power off
Change the drive to whichever you want
Boot from the USB again, and install.

Reactions: Ciccioz
Feb 20, 2021
Thank you! Very helpful.
First of all i'll wipe my SSD and re-instert HDD in the SATA i'm now using. Then i'll consider buying another SSD and start again.

Thank you again!

TRENDING THREADS