Intel's Future Chips: News, Rumours & Reviews

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Which one?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4029608-intels-licensing-agreement-nvidia-will-continue-well-beyond-2017

From the agreement itself:

"Capture Period" shall mean any time on or prior to March 31, 2017.

(...)

“Patents” shall mean all classes or types of patents other than design patents (including, without limitation, originals, divisions, continuations, continuations-in-part, extensions or reissues), and applications for these classes or types of patents throughout the world (collectively “ Patent Rights ”) that (a) are owned or controlled by the applicable Party or any of its Subsidiaries or to which such entities have the right to grant licenses in each case at any time on or after the Effective Date, and (b) have a first effective filing date during the Capture Period and to the extent that the applicable Party or its Subsidiaries has the right to grant licenses within and of the scope set forth herein and without the requirement to pay consideration to any third party (other than Subsidiaries or to its and their employees) for the grant of a license under this Agreement.

(...)

TERM AND TERMINATION FOR CAUSE

4.1. Term . This Agreement and the rights and licenses granted hereunder shall become effective on the Effective Date, and shall continue in effect until the expiration of the last patent licensed hereunder to expire unless such rights and licenses are sooner terminated by a Party pursuant to Section 4.2. Except as expressly set forth in Sections 4.2(a) or 4.2(b), neither this Agreement nor any of the rights or licenses granted herein may be terminated for any reason.

It says there, or at least I interpret: You will be able to use the licenses until 2017 unless you re-negociate, but if you don't this will extend itself.

Anyone else with lawyer-english speak that could interpret better?

Agreement: http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-11-5134&cik=1045810

Cheers!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Doesn't say that.

jwcrellin

Reputable
I'm looking forward to the upcoming replacement for the aging x99. I believe that the new x299 will feature many new features as well as a proper 10 core 20 thread cpu. Supposedly it will have 2066 pin socket. Has anybody heard anything about the upcoming Xeon socket with like 3467 pins or something?

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Do you guys think Intel will increase the cores of its i3 and i5 processors next year? The next gen i7 is rumored to be a 6 core processor with hyperthreading. From what Intel has been doing for the last several years, I think the i5 would be a 6 core processor with no hyperthreading, and the i3 would be a 3 core processor with hyperthreading.

But what I think will likely happen is that the i5 will receive hyperthreading and the i3 will get bumped up to 4 cores with no hyperthreading.

It's going to come down to how Ryzen performs and how it's priced. If it can at least somewhat keep up with Intel on per core performance and is priced competitively, Intel may be forced to bring hexacores to their mainstream segment or risk losing market share in the midrange area.

jdwii

Splendid

That's basically everything that i said they need to do ha ha, as long as they keep the current prices i think Intel is well equipped to take on Ryzen competitively. Gonna be a great time for us consumers.

jwcrellin

Reputable
I just hope that the new socket r4 (2066 pins) will stay through the next process miniaturization(14 nm down to 10 nm). Like how x99 started off with cpu's being manufactured on 32 nm process but the 2011 socket stayed around through the die shrink down to the current 14 nm. Skylake X will be 6,8,10 core variants with 140 watt tdp. I'd like to see that eventually get down closer to 100 watts but still being an absolute monster.

jwcrellin

Reputable
OOOooo, I just noticed a one-ups-man-ship thing. AMD bulldozer/piledriver etc..... chips used 942 pins on the bottom. Intel then started using 1155, 1150 and 1151 pin sockets. Now AMD Ryzen will be using 1331 pins on the bottom of their cpu's. As a response, Intel mainstream chipset will almost double to 2066 pins . Hahaha, its like a corporate way to scream, "My junk is bigger!!!"

There's nothing of value in there for any of us, to be honest. Most of the topics they discuss are around ASM level of execution and how the CPU interpret the operands and decompose them into micro-operands; penalties and such and such. It's an interesting read indeed, but it won't really tell you why you gain 1 or 2 FPS going from Haswell to Skylake.

Cheers!

jwcrellin

Reputable
I've been seeing leaks lately regarding X299 and Skylake X. I think some of the info is right and some is a lil bit off. Like the pci-e lanes and L3 chache, the hierarchy math just doesn't add up. I expect more accurate information will come out as we get closer to computex this spring and then gamescom this summer.

Not really. Intel moved from PGA to LGA in order to be able to throw more pins at their CPUs for the features they wanted to use. In fact Intels newest socket is LGA 3647 in the server and HPC market.

AMD is moving to more pins because they have to in order to support DDR4 (DDR4 is 288 pin vs DDR3 240 pin) and other features. Most are probably for voltage more than anything but it was inevitable that AMD would have to move to more than 940 +/- pins eventually.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

It was a mistake made by CPCHardware and repeated by the new sites. It is an ordinary i5 without hyperthreading. And it is not a new Kabylake-S model, but a future Kabylake-X model.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
What's going on with the enthusiast market? A 4 core enthusiast chip? Doesn't make sense.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Isn't Skylake-X coming to enthusiasts? 6-core, 8-core, and 10-core?

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Kaby Lake-X is total bull.

<Mod Edit for language. This is a family site, please keep it clean>

Crumpet 1

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Noone really should listen to anything posted by PCworld...

BUT, i'll bite.

Cannonlake for desktops isn't due to launch until Q4 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.