Question Internet keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.

johnrambo552

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Hello everyone! As the title says I have serious problem with my internet which keeps disconnecting for 5-20 seconds then reconnects automatically.
The timing of these interruptions is random, for example I can get more than 5 disconnects every 20 minutes, an hour or few hours.
The Router is in the living room, and my bedroom is upstairs, but I managed to get the Ethernet cable all the way up to my bedroom. Today I had about 40 disconnects while playing online games which is really frustrating. I can't play anything that requires internet connection for more than 5 minutes. The thing is that I just moved into a new house last week and the previous tenants used to have the same ISP as I have. I installed the internet few days ago. In the previous house I had a cat5e cable which was very thin and same thing happened, but rarely, like one day a week for maximum of 2-3 times per day which was very decent and I could have lived with it.
For the new house, I bought a Cat6a cable which is very thick for more protection of the wires, because I thought the cheap Cat5e cable may be the problem.
I am using a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 and at the back of the router are 4 Ethernet ports. When the cable is connected there is a green light that is constantly flashing, but as soon as I get disconnected, the light turns off. The other lights of the router are working fine, even the WiFi is working properly. When my computer gets disconnected, my phone and other devices from the house that are using wifi are working properly . I even have a 1-2 meters cable from the virgin media themselves and I've moved my computer to the living room just to test it, unfortunately the same result as with my Cat6a cable.
I've tired to restart and reset the router, change Ethernet ports and update the network drivers but no success.

I am really wondering what the problem could be, it wasn't that bad in the previous house with the cheaper Ethernet cable, but now it's just unbearable

Ralston18

Titan
Disconnects could be a faulty physical connection or some damage along the ethernet cable's path from router to computer. Kinks, sharp bends, crimping, staple or nail penetration, all can disrupt and interrupt connectivity.

And check all wired and wireless devices on your network. There should be no duplicate IP addresses.

Which LAN port on the router are you using? Did you try any of the other ports?

Do you have the User Guide/Manual for the Virgin Media Hub 3.0? / Router. Who has full admin rights to the router?

Suggestions:

First, take a closer look at the status lights and verify what they are indicating:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-do-the-lights-on-your-hub-mean

[Note; Do verify that I have identified the correct router]

Second, what brand and source is the Cat 6a cable you purchased?

Third, run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the command prompt on your computer.

johnrambo552

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Disconnects could be a faulty physical connection or some damage along the ethernet cable's path from router to computer. Kinks, sharp bends, crimping, staple or nail penetration, all can disrupt and interrupt connectivity.

And check all wired and wireless devices on your network. There should be no duplicate IP addresses.

Which LAN port on the router are you using? Did you try any of the other ports?

Do you have the User Guide/Manual for the Virgin Media Hub 3.0? / Router. Who has full admin rights to the router?

Suggestions:

First, take a closer look at the status lights and verify what they are indicating:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-do-the-lights-on-your-hub-mean

[Note; Do verify that I have identified the correct router]

Second, what brand and source is the Cat 6a cable you purchased?

Third, run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the command prompt on your computer.

1. I'm, using the first port. I've tried all of them, no difference.
2. Yes, when I moved I received a pack from virgin with the installation guide along with cables, I've read it, nothing useful about this problem.
3. The lights are working fine. The WiFi, Internet and Phone light are not on, but the base light is white ~ (not a clear white, a bit greenish but is not flashing, i just assume it's a lighting problem).
4. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FSA0I40/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - This is the link to the Ethernet Cable I bought.
5. Results of ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bogdan-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-4D-7B-2B-91-A1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::590d:bdd:628f:afb7%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 31 May 2019 14:06:19
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 June 2019 21:01:03
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 242240891
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-23-5C-1C-84-70-4D-7B-2B-91-A1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{2FFE297C-EAAF-4BDF-A6D0-DD1367580618}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

johnrambo552

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Thank you.

Not sure about 4. - the shielded cable. Did you have or did you receive any specific installation documentation with respect to grounding?

For example:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2172091-grounding-cat6-shielded-end

Second thought:

Try reconfiguring the DNS Server to Google via 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
Thank you for your answer!
No, I didn't receive any specific installation documentation with respect to grounding . Firstly I will try to reconfigure the DNS server, if this doesn't work I will try the cat5e cable from my old house.