[SOLVED] Internet on work pc keeps going on and off

MasterGamer99

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
I work IT for a dealership and recently one of our main pc's internet keeps going on and off few few mins/hours sometime and while that's happening we cant use our cash drawer, printer or receipt printer on the other pc's because that end pc is the main one we use. I've tried replacing it with another pc, another wire and nothing working. Id assume it is the wired access point its using ? 5 out of the 6 work fine that are all on the same network! Please help me! PC is win7 like all the other ones. Dell optiplex 780.

Solution
Update your post to include full hardware specs for the problem pc. Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Also: do any network devices have static IP addresses assigned?

Are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt on the problem pc?

Next steps:

1) On the problem PC, run Reliability History/Monitor to look for error codes and warnings that correspond with outages. Event Viewer may likewise provide similar information.

2) Swap the "problem" pc once more with another known working pc on the network. Be sure to use a known working ethernet cable between pc and wall outlet or router port if directly connected.

Determine if the problem follows the problem pc or stays with the...

Ralston18

Titan
Ethernet wall outlet? Patch panel?

Check that the connecting ethernet cable is fully and firmly punched in on both ends.

Inspect the cable run between patch panel and outlet for signs of damage, kinks, corrosion, rodent chews, penetrating nails or staples, etc..

Trim and re-punch the ethernet cable.

Reactions: MasterGamer99

MasterGamer99

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Ethernet wall outlet? Patch panel?

Check that the connecting ethernet cable is fully and firmly punched in on both ends.

Inspect the cable run between patch panel and outlet for signs of damage, kinks, corrosion, rodent chews, penetrating nails or staples, etc..

Trim and re-punch the ethernet cable.
The wire is fine i looked, idk what else to do.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full hardware specs for the problem pc. Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Also: do any network devices have static IP addresses assigned?

Are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt on the problem pc?

Next steps:

1) On the problem PC, run Reliability History/Monitor to look for error codes and warnings that correspond with outages. Event Viewer may likewise provide similar information.

2) Swap the "problem" pc once more with another known working pc on the network. Be sure to use a known working ethernet cable between pc and wall outlet or router port if directly connected.

Determine if the problem follows the problem pc or stays with the current connection path.

3) If the problem stays with the pc, then power down, unplug, and open the case. Ensure that all cables, connections, card seatings, RAM are fully and firmly in place.

Solution