[SOLVED] Is 70% Ethyl Alcohol good for cleaning thermal paste?

AngelofDeth28

Commendable
Jan 26, 2020
I accidentally bought 70% Ethyl Alcohol instead of the Isopropyl Alcohol. I am wondering if it is fine to use to clean off thermal compound off my CPU.

I accidentally bought 70% Ethyl Alcohol instead of the Isopropyl Alcohol. I am wondering if it is fine to use to clean off thermal compound off my CPU.
What a waste.

Make some jello shots with it and use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the thermal paste instead.

ethyl alcohol = ethanol = Everclear. 140 proof so it's super potent...don't drink neat

Actually, I am surprised and curious...what country are you in where you can ACCIDENTALLY buy Ethyl Alcohol? Are you sure it's not ADULTERATED or DENATURED ethyl alcohol? in which case and seriously, don't try drinking it. But also do not use it for cleaning electronics until you find out what the adulterating agent is.

Last edited:

AngelofDeth28

Commendable
Jan 26, 2020
What a waste.

Make some jello shots with it and use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the thermal paste instead.

ethyl alcohol = ethanol = Everclear. 140 proof so it's super potent...don't drink neat

Actually, I am surprised and curious...what country are you in where you can ACCIDENTALLY buy Ethyl Alcohol? Are you sure it's not ADULTERATED or DENATURED ethyl alcohol? in which case and seriously, don't try drinking it. But also do not use it for cleaning electronics until you find out what the adulterating agent is.
I live in Canada. I told my mom to buy a bottle of 70% or more isopropyl alcohol but she bought ethyl alcohol that was just instead . I suppose Ill use the cloth only method like @ohio_buckeye said or ill go and buy the isopropyl alcohol. By the way Im building my first PC now.

I live in Canada. I told my mom to buy a bottle of 70% or more isopropyl alcohol but she bought ethyl alcohol that was just instead . I suppose Ill use the cloth only method like @ohio_buckeye said or ill go and buy the isopropyl alcohol. By the way Im building my first PC now.
Canada's more liberal than the US about alcohol sales, but I'm sure they'd want their drinkable ethanol appropriately taxed with distribution controlled accordingly. Double check to make sure it's not denatured, just so you know what you have. There are a number of different adulterating agents used, some can be quite harmful when used on the assumption it's a suitable substitute for IPA.

And separately...just wiping it off with a tissue or paper towel always works for me too.