Question Is it okay to plug my surge protector, which my PC and other accesories connect to, into a thick extension cord?

JMusic7

Commendable
Mar 11, 2021
My PC (with an RTX 3080 OC card) and four other cords drawing power to different things are plugged into a decent sized surge protector. The cord from the surge protector was plugged into an outlet on the opposite side of my room and when I tried to make sure it was plugged in all the way, electrical sparks were coming out. I took the cord, removed it, and connected it to a thick extension cord to plug it into a wall outlet on a different wall in my room. Is this okay, or should the surge protector go straight into a wall outlet as opposed to being connected to an extension cord? My problem is the surge protector cord doesn't have enough length.

elderMat7

Honorable
Feb 4, 2018
From galvinpower.org: Plugging a power strip into an extension cord or daisy chaining is not recommended. This electrical connection can cause overloads, creating fire hazards. Furthermore, this type of electrical connection is against NEC electrical code and OSH regulations.

It will likely be fine. If you are talking like 100ft extension then you might have a issue.

There are likely so called safety rules against doing that in your house but these are similar to them printing warning on plastic bags to not put them over your head. Some clueless person might trip on the extension cord and die or your dog might chew on it :)